URGENT!!! hatching help

alwayslovely14

In the Brooder
6 Years
Aug 13, 2013
My duck is going on its third day of trying to hatch it hasn't gotten more than a nickle sized hole and me and my mom are getting worried.. I think that the shell may be too hard for it to break through. My mom tried helping it and she said that it was hard for even her to get through. I need to know how to get my duckling out without hurting it. I can't loose this duckling.

I'm sorry to hear about the trouble you are having with your little duckling. I too have had to stress about whether or not to assist with the baby ducklings hatch. In the end I have made the decision numerous times now when it just seemed like there was no other choice. You said that there was a nickel sized hole in the egg. Can you tell if the baby is in the correct position? (Head at air hole end) Or was the hole pipped at the opposite end of the air hole? If you can in fact see the baby ducklings face and see that he is breathing, you may try giving him a few drops of sugar water to keep up his energy with the hatch. I would give him about 5 drops of sugar water every 20-30 minutes or so and see if that helps. I don't know where you are, but here it is 9pm. I would see if he has made any progress by morning. If he hasn't I would gently start peeling away small pieces of the shell. Not a lot. Just enough to give him a boost of help. If he still isn't making any progress after a few hours I would then attempt to slowly and carefully remove the shell bit by bit. You have to wash your hands though before and after touching the egg. Bacteria can very easily be introduced and kill the baby. Once you have him out of the egg if there is a little blood that is normal. If you still see quite a bit of exposed yolk on his tummy that did not finish absorbing that will mean that he probably isn't going to make it. Do you know if his hatch is on schedule? Early, Late, etc. I will find a link for you shortly. Oh, I also forgot you need to make sure that the baby doesn't get dried out inside the egg. If you look inside the hole you should be able to see a film where the air hole is separated from the rest of the egg. If too much time passes, that film can dry out and can shrink wrap the baby suffocating it. Did you have the egg under a broody bird, or in an incubator? Duck eggs are harder than other eggs and require a lot of humidity to help soften the shell come hatch. If you still have it inside something try keeping the humidity level up. Will find that link for you and send it soon.

Last edited:
You should read this https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/step-by-step-guide-to-assisted-hatching Its a step-by-step guide to assisted hatching by Sally Sunshine. It can be a little gross, but its really helpful and if your little ones been trying to hatch for 3 days; he probably needs help. Good luck!
fl.gif

Also, is the baby chirping? Keep forgetting all of the details, I apologize. Just trying to find out what state of health and activity the little one is in currently. If things are rushed too much it can end badly. If we can figure out what stage the little one is in, it will be easier to tell how to approach the situation. Any details are great!

He was chirpping for a while it seems that he has stopped doing that as much he pipped at the wrong end and it seems a little like hes dried out. its the third day since it has pipped and he never zipped either my mom had gotten worried do she helped but he started bleeding so i wrapped him in a warm paper towel and put him back im not sure if its time to help or if theres a chance he might get out on his own

The hatch is also like 1 days late

Ducklings have their own timeline and anything from how high temps were in bator to humidity can cause hatch to be late, so since you saw blood don't keep trying the duckling hasn't finished absorbing veins or yolk. It can take up to 36 hrs from internal zip to external zip so try not to be in a hurry. Did you read the thread momo18clara gave you?

Yes i did and my duck also pipped on the wrong side so me and my mom decided it was in the ducks best interest to help. The membrane was dry and it took over an hour for me to get the duck out but i did and he/she is doing well so far. One thing im worried about is that the neck is bent and i think its from being in the wrong position in the egg. also when he tries to walk, he won't open his feet and attempts to walk with his feet scrunched together. I read up some and i was thinking of doing the cardboard shoes i wanted some advice and if i shouldnt do the shoe thing

Yes i did and my duck also pipped on the wrong side so me and my mom decided it was in the ducks best interest to help. The membrane was dry and it took over an hour for me to get the duck out but i did and he/she is doing well so far. One thing im worried about is that the neck is bent and i think its from being in the wrong position in the egg. also when he tries to walk, he won't open his feet and attempts to walk with his feet scrunched together. I read up some and i was thinking of doing the cardboard shoes i wanted some advice and if i shouldnt do the shoe thing

Whew what a time this lil one has had. Give it sometime to rest up from hatching hopefully it's neck and feet will straighten out on their own, if not by tomorrow then make the shoes.
If you have some poultry vitamins you might put some into some water and offer some to the lil one [dribble along it's bill only don't try to get any down it's throat it may go into it's lungs] but probably won't want to eat or drink for a couple days and that's normal.
Here is something to read and the mean time about a lil Pekin who had a crooked neck sweet story. https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/761308/peking-duckling-with-crooked-neck-help and more good info
https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/750869/raising-and-caring-for-ducklings#post_10611711

Last edited:
thank you so much i just got back from school and i brught him/her out for water and he/she keeps trying to walk except he/she fumbles every other second

Back
Top Bottom