Urgent Hatching Problem - Chick Foaming in/around Mouth

Mountain Roost

Songster
5 Years
Mar 26, 2018
NE US
Chick pipped this morning and then made a bigger hole. I noticed it was gasping a lot. Then I kept watch and noticed there was a lot of moisture and then foam. Chick seems to be able to swallow the foam and then breath. I opened the top of the shell to see if I could just help it out of the egg, but there is still a lot of veining on the membrane. I dabbed its mouth with a paper towel and that helped for a short while but the foam came back. I left some paper towel on the exposed part just hoping for some absorption. There was another egg that hatched beside this one so I can't be sure its from lockdown humidity.

Any words of advice?

Thanks

Attachments

• DSCN6270.JPG
    DSCN6270.JPG
    371.2 KB · Views: 56
  • DSCN6268.JPG
    DSCN6268.JPG
    420.2 KB · Views: 14
  • DSCN6266.JPG
    DSCN6266.JPG
    310 KB · Views: 14
I just checked again and it is looking better - less foam. Has anyone seen this before? I would still like to learn about why this happened.

Is the liquid very sticky? Looks to me like your humidity was maybe too high so the egg didn't lose the right amount of weight it should've. Sometimes the chicks end up drowning in all the fluid.

I read about humidity too high too. What about too low? because I actually have trouble keeping it above 45% during first 18 days incubation.

I would guess it is sticky but the way the chick was battling it. So relieved that the foam has reduced. Chick looks like it is breathing better now.

Are you sure your hydrometer was reading correctly? I suggest keeping an eye on it because since it's very sticky it makes it hard for the chick to move in the egg to zip out. I had this problem once and I had to help the chick and wipe away the fluid as I went and after I had to give him a good cleaning since the fluid leaves them so stiff after it dries.

Thank you for your advice. I did have to wipe more fluid away a little bit ago. I tipped the egg so that some would drain out onto a paper towel. The exposed parts where starting to get stiff. I applied some coconut oil with my finger. I am watching the little one like a hawk (rare bred Svart Hona). Breathing really good now, even through just the nostrils, taking good deep breaths. But not ready for an assist yet, still chewing and I still see veins in some places. I guess I am staying up tonight!

My motto is "if you pip, you're coming out of that shell!"

Back
Top Bottom