URGENT HELP! 4wk OLD LEGHORN HAS WING PULLED OFF!

innof8happinesses

In the Brooder
11 Years
Mar 18, 2008
Sonoran Desert
Out of the blue our old chihuahua decided to take after a 4 wk old baby today while they were out in a small fenced play yard getting some sun and exercise. He grabbed the leghorn and torn her wing right off of her body. There is nothing left but a hole that was bleeding. I thought it was the end of her right away... but I rinsed the wound, applied bacterial foam and wrapped her around the body with vet wrap so it would stick on. We have her in a separate tank with extra heat and antibiotics in the water. She looks ok just laying there wondering what they heck happened,... but then she up and scoots around and gets the bandage off. Anyone know how to do this better or had any success and recovery with losing a whole wing? I can't keep getting her out and wrapping her up just to have her get it off in an hour.... Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

I know it has been a long time ago, but I remember someone else had a pretty much the same thing happen. If I remember correctly, they just kept the wound clean and the baby did fine. Perhaps with such a severe injury you might give her some antibiotics (more than just the topical stuff)? This is going to sound awful, but you won't ever have to worry about it flying over the fence. I hope your baby gets better quickly.

Thanks... It looks simply awful! I have antibiotics in the water, but she has yet to drink even when I dip her beak in....
sad.png

Poor little thing. I am sure she is in shock. All I know is keep her warm and quiet....I know here are people on here who can give you much better advice on that. Perhaps an injectable antibiotic?

I'm sure she is in shock, as you say. I wonder if there's a way you can immobilize her by suspending her in a sort of sling? Has her bleeding stopped? I would THINK that type of wound would require sutures? Gosh, I dunno....GOOD LUCK - hope she makes it through okay!
hugs.gif

I wouldn't bandage - flush with a dilute Betadine solution and antibiotic ointment. I guess if the foam stays in place that's fine too. You don't want to seal in any bacteria with a bandage - it needs to heal from the inside out. She should be fine in pretty short time. Do you have any Rescue Remedy? It helps with the shockiness. Just a drop ought to do it. Good luck.

We had this happen to a duck way back when I was a kid. We took her to the vet and he trimmed off what was still hanging. It was a possum that had gotten into the pen and pulled her wing off. The vet had her taking a liguid antibiotic and we had a powder to sprinkle on the area I think 3 times a day. I do not think he stitched it but I could be remembering wrong.
She did survive and lived happy life. We kept her in a quiet place by herself until she felt better.

Back
Top Bottom