Urgent help/advice needed!!!!!

viccyscoobs22

Hatching
6 Years
Jun 17, 2013
I let my 10 geese out this morning, only to find one with a back covered in blood from a broken, twisted beak (see pictures). It cannot graze or eat any of the whole wheat I put down for them this morning. It is carrying on its business as normal just looks in slight discomfort.
I don't know what to do. I do not want to leave it in this state because if it cannot eat it cannot live. So my options are looking pretty rubbish. He is a young and friendly. The most inquisitive out of this years bunch, a real character. Not sure how he did it either! So the big question is should I put him to sleep or another possibility would be to try and tape his beak together (back to normal) and hope that it will seal and heal itself? Or will this be prolonging pain/ suffering? I don't know what to do!

Any help would be greatly appreciated! Advice? Has this happened to any of you before?
Thank you in advance! Viccy

If you have no other choice try superglue. I know it sounds crazy, but I had a hen whose skin on her head and neck was flayed open. I had no clue what to do and no sewing supplies. I glued it strategically in places (so it would drain) and kept it sprayed with red kote. She stayed inside and got antibiotics (left over amoxicillin). She was sick for a while, but is now 100%.

I have 7 geese, buff and pilgrim. Somehow they became pets. With no other recourse, I would clean it (just rinse with water)and glue it back on. If there is living tissue in the piece, try to only glue the outside,so the tissue has a chance to heal. I would keep them away from everyone else. I would offer water with electrolytes for the first day or so and then feed cooked oatmeal and wet food.

Even if the beak does not heal, he may just need a special diet.

Superglue was developed as a surgical adhesive - it's not crazy at all. Just be careful, as it'll set on anything damp, and beaks are damp. You don't want to glue his tongue to his beak or anything like that. Use a toothpick or something like that to apply, and go easy on the stuff.

That being said, my biggest thing here would be figuring out how it happened, so it doesn't happen again.

Never thought if super glue. He ha seen kept quiet but with the rest of them all day. HAs deteriorated now and although is keeping up with the rest is certainly taking it's toll.
I will get right on the super glue and electrolytes.
Will let you know how we get on. Thank you so much x

P.s I'm pretty sure he has done it by getting his beak stuck in some mesh which is blocking a hole into the next stable. It is solid wire and the only thing in their house/stable that could if done the damage. Strange though as it's been in there since they were born an 3 lots of the geese before.
Thanks again

P.s I'm pretty sure he has done it by getting his beak stuck in some mesh which is blocking a hole into the next stable. It is solid wire and the only thing in their house/stable that could if done the damage. Strange though as it's been in there since they were born an 3 lots of the geese before.
Thanks again
It sounds like u have gotten some good advice. I couldn't tell from the pictures, even enlarging them. Is it the top or botom? I have a goose Lucy, who lost part of her top beak two years ago. Reconstruction surgery was out of sight, money wise, but the vet said if there was still viable tissue that it could grow back, howbeit deformed though. Well, it never did grow back and two years later she is as fat as ever. It was too sore at first, so my husband tube fed her for awhile(I didn't know how at the time and now am a pro w/ my chickens) Then we hand fed her soft food rolled in a ball and she would gobble it up. (we gave her vitamins and electrolytes plus grass rolled up in those balls. We still had to tube her at least once a day with water as she was still getting the hang of drinking w/o a beak. Since then she has learned to tilt her head to eat and can graze tall grass and eat if I make soft fermented food in a ddep pan. So I'll show you a picture I took in the spring. It's been two years and she is doing great. I think she feels left out at times when they go graze the sof tender grass, because she still can't get to short grass. This picture isn't the best . I can't remember but think I took it w/ my camera. And everyone is right, if you super glue, sparingly and the tissue is still viable it willheal up as good as new, except maybe a little scarring and deformity. I wish you all the luck. It's important right now to get the vitamins and , water and food down him, so he doesn't go downhill. Good luck and I'll pray for him and u both

Thanks again

I'm old and very computer illiterate, so I couldn't figure out how to turn the bottom picture around. The top beak is missing from just below the nostrils. I was thinking of going back and editing it to just enlarge the beak and send it that way. Keep us updated for sure. Wish I lived by u and would be more tha willing to help.

Thank you for your pics and comments. Think the glue has saved the day.
It was the bottom part of the beak broken diagonally from underneath closest to the throat. There is definate tissue there so I am Hoping with some tlc he will be ok. I have given him some electrolytes, an injection for pain and a fast activating anyibiotic. Luckily we had some numbing stuff left so before we performed our mini op we have him some of that to numb the area so hopefully wasn't to painful for him.
He is in a stable on his own with the rest of the group in the one next to him. They can see each other through the very tired partition.
Will try soaked bread in milk in the morning or possibly porridge?
Should be able to graze now as the end if the beak is alligned so he can pinch the end.
Will keep you all updated.
Thank you so much for your help you literally saved his life as I hated seeing him In pain etc and thought it would e most humane to say goodbye. Concequently he is now not going to be sold but will stay with my ladies on the farm :0)
Thank you all so much again x

Back
Top Bottom