Urgent Help: Duck feed and water

Janay

Chirping
6 Years
Feb 25, 2013
Cape Cod, MA
My Coop
My Coop
I need help asap. I am moving my ducks into the former chicken coop. The coop has two separate runs attached to the coop. Now, my question is this: Should I keep the ducks feed and water in the coop or out in the run? My first thought was to keep them both in the run, because of the mess. BUT, we have a storm coming through and will need to keep the ducks in the coop till it passes. But the won't have access to food or water. BUT, if I put them in the coop, it will be a disaster with the water making a mess. I have heard of people making a duck waterer with a container inside a container to help with the drinking mess. Ideas on that? Please someone let me know soon before the storm sets in.

I need help asap. I am moving my ducks into the former chicken coop. The coop has two separate runs attached to the coop. Now, my question is this: Should I keep the ducks feed and water in the coop or out in the run? My first thought was to keep them both in the run, because of the mess. BUT, we have a storm coming through and will need to keep the ducks in the coop till it passes. But the won't have access to food or water. BUT, if I put them in the coop, it will be a disaster with the water making a mess. I have heard of people making a duck waterer with a container inside a container to help with the drinking mess. Ideas on that? Please someone let me know soon before the storm sets in.
Here's one idea hope it helps. https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/813305/containing-the-water

Hmm, Ok, thank you. I will see what I can do. My regular feed store is closed today, so whatever I use needs to be in the house!
Thanks.

What about a dog water bottle that provides continous fresh water as they drink, that's what I use with 2 pekins indoor at night.

I thought of that, but what about the ducks making a wet mess in the coop? Or do you have something catching the spills under the doggy bowl?

How old are the birds? some of mine have no water/feed overnight so if they encounter a bad storm and can go in/out of the run.. leave it outside! unless they are young they will be okay without it. The only caveat is i would be inclined to remove all feed(and thus water) overnight to keep rodents at bay.. unless the pen is 100% impossible to get into.
wink.png

Back
Top Bottom