Urgent HELP needed.......

Bird Ranger

Songster
7 Years
Apr 8, 2017
Lahore,Pakistan.
Hello everyone
One of my peacock of 7 months was very badly and furiously pecked by his father today and when it came to my notice the back of the head and the neck of the young peacock was very badly wounded and it felt very weak.I catched him and isolated him in a small room.its been about an hour and he has not moved a bit.Since I have not encountered any such problems i washed his wounds with piodine.I dont know if that was right.please suggest me what should be done?plz help

One thing more to ask is it possible that peacocks peck sick peas cuz in addition to the wounded peacock.the alpha peacock was also pecking a peahen which seemed lazy and prbably sick to me.Can anyone bring this issue to light?

The picture below gives a possible reason
6D516139-7F44-437F-8D33-577D70DAC95E.jpeg

I have no experience with peacocks. But I do know regardless of the species, animals often target those that are sick and will hurt and even kill them. So it's possible the alpha peacock senses weakness in the ones he's attacking.

But he could also injure them when mating.

With chickens there's a pecking order. I have a rooster, who is pretty much the top chicken. But within the females one is dominant to everyone else.

Do you have any other males? Did you introduce any new birds recently? Did you change something in their environment, such as move them to a new yard or barn?

Hopefully someone who has experience with peacocks can help, but for now maybe my questions can get things started.

Never read something so stupid!

In all fairness, animals are often more complex than we give them credit for. Infanticide is also relatively common in the animal kingdom, a relative had a tom kill a litter he fathered and spread the limbs througout the yard. A mother abandoning a youngster because it's sick, weak or stunted so she can focus more attention on the rest that she deems more likely to live and offer them a better chance by focusing her efforts and resources that would have been put into the weak one on all of them, further increasing the odds of the stronger offspring surviving. Survival of the fittest I suppose. She is a probably a bit old to be weeded out by mom, but a flock can turn on a member no matter the age. Personally three scenarios come to mind, the flock found her unfit for whatever reason and attacked her, bullying by fellow flock members or perhaps one of the birds establishing their position in the pecking order with a, well...peck, and drawing blood which I have heard can cause the rest to attack as well leading to a bloody outcome as mentioned.

Hello everyone
One of my peacock of 7 months was very badly and furiously pecked by his father today and when it came to my notice the back of the head and the neck of the young peacock was very badly wounded and it felt very weak.I catched him and isolated him in a small room.its been about an hour and he has not moved a bit.Since I have not encountered any such problems i washed his wounds with piodine.I dont know if that was right.please suggest me what should be done?plz help
If it is getting close to breeding season the cock could be frustrated and is wanting to breed. Most times this will not affect the offspring but some cocks will try to run off the competition. If the hens are not ready to mate it will make matters worse.

Back
Top Bottom