Urgent help needed !

hasaanzia

Songster
5 Years
Nov 21, 2015
I have a rooster that is white faced spanish black. He got ND (Newcastle disease) like 2 weeks back. Though he had no nervous system/paralysis symptoms he has become very weak and wont eat anything. I give him porridge in water with dropper but he is not getting any better. He has difficulty breathing with a loud sound and his poop is also liquidish with dark green color. I am giving him multivitamins and an antibiotic . He is a fighter and has been through hell. Any insight or suggestions on how to make the situation better will be greatly appreciated. Thank you !

I no nothing about treating Newcastle disease. I've read that it's highly contagious and I'm not sure what I would do if one of mine had it.

If you do want to try to save him, I would suggest tube feeding fluids, then fluids and baby bird food. I think I would also treat with a powerful injectable antibiotic like Baytril.

Where are you located? Newcastles has 3 types, and the exotic type is not in the US. Did you get a diagnosis from a vet, or what symptoms were you seeing that led to your diagnosis? Exotic Newcastles is such a serious disease here in the US, that birds would be culled and incinerated.
More than likely you might be seeing something less serious, such as mycoplasma, coryza, or ILT. Have you tried antibiotics, and if so, which one?

Well i took him to a vet and he made the diagnosis that he has ND. Though he doesnt have paralysis so thankfully he doesnt have the strain which has the 100% mortality rate. As per the vet i first gave him enroflaxacin- Coliston Suphate and Medi Dek-C ( Mutivitamin syrup) for 5 days and now vet stopped the first antibiotic and with the multivitamin right now i am giving him bromhexin Hydrochloride(Bromofas)
But he is very weak now. Feeding him porridge mixed in water with a syringe

This is him . He was very active but now he keeps standing in one side or barely walks or runs.

Attachments

• 20180311_225548.jpg
    20180311_225548.jpg
    353.1 KB · Views: 3
With sick chickens I offer wet chicken feed with a lot of wtare, some plain yogurt (about 5 ml,) and offer chopped egg or tuna to get them to eat. You may also learn to tube feed him with a feeding tube and large syringe from your vet. Google “Go team tube feeding” or look at some crop feeding videos online. It can be easy to learn.

He may be feeling so weak, and sometimes their crops become slow and they don’t eat well. Hopefully, getting him to eat and the vitamins, as well as probiotics from yogurt may help him get some energy. Antibiotics can wipe out the good gut bacteria, but probiotics can help with that.

Back
Top Bottom