Urgent, help please. My six week old chick suddenly collapsed

sharonp53

Songster
8 Years
May 23, 2013
Peacock Creek, NSW. 2469
Please can you help urgently. I am panicking. I was holding my six week old roo chick. He was happily relaxed and then started struggling. I went to move him to put him downband he collapsed. He looked dead,neyes closed, head back and floppy. I blew in his beak and laid him on a cold surface, gradually he recovered. He is still a bit wobbly, but other than that he seems okay. But is making a little trilling noise rather than a cheep.

It scared the heck out of me. I was only holding him for about a minute, could I have overheated him? He is used to being cuddled and I always check his heartbeat for signs of stress. What happened?

Is it possible that you were holding him with your hands around his breast and wings, and he wasn't getting enough oxygen? I would make sure that he was drinking water. Someone else on here reported a similar happening recently, and after some time, fully recovered. I hope he recovers.

Oh thank you so much. That does make sense. I was holding him and he started to struggle I was afraid of dropping him so held him a little tighter. I feel so stupid!

He is very quiet this morning and not eating much, before he ate non-stop, and there is a large amount of poop in his box. I have mealworms, which he loves and he is drinking well. I will keep him quiet and see how he goes.

I do hope he recovers. I feel so helpless and angry with myself. Thank you for your help and support.

Back
Top Bottom