URGENT HELP PLEASE!

She is still alive! She was terribly put out that she can't come outside with the others (as well as being super friendly she is also quite vocal), she is currently eating breakfast and walking about - so relieved she seems ok, her wound looks a bit pussy but will clean that out when she has calmed down from the shock of being taken out of the cat carrier and then left in and then off to the vet later today. Knowing her she will probably find it quite interesting...fingers crossed she is ok.

Please keep us posted on how she is doing. our thoughs are with you and your precious girl!

SO glad she's doing okay! Times like these are when I really appreciate this site, there's always someone here to advise. I wouldnt worry about infection from the dogs mouth. Infection would more than likely come from her surroundings right now but it sounds like you're doing the right thing. I had a dog go after my big splash rooster. Luckily I was near, and was able to save the poor guy.But he was sore and bruised for a while and his one wing was hanging lower than the other. But luckily there were no broken bones, he was just sore and couldn't lift it high enough. It was a good month in a quiet pen before he was back to normal, he even stopped crowing that whole time. When I heard him crowing after a month it was music to my ears!
yesss.gif

Keep us posted on your girl!

highfive.gif

Well, it hasn't affected her voice!
We went to the vet and she was so very good! He cleaned out the wounds and she is on antibiotics for the next seven days - my husband is 'delighted' to be informed that his help is required for twice daily wound cleaning and getting half a tablet down her throat - he thinks of the girls as being all my department!
The vet said he thinks she will have a scab within a week and will be back to normal within two weeks, he said that it was just as well she went to see him as otherwise he thinks it would have gotten infected...hoping nothing goes wrong with her recovery...
Did I mention how good she was? She kept still while he trimmed around the wounds and sat on the scales like she had done it all before!
He said she ought to be ok to go out with the other two in the next few days as long as I monitor and make sure they aren't mean to her...

Please could someone tell me, is there a particular knack of giving tablets to chickens? I am not finding it all that easy and she is not enjoying it at all! Yesterday was a fluke but today she was more wise and wriggled about - I had her in the cat carrier to try and keep her still.
Last night I asked Sean to help but he was too slow putting it in so I did it - I am thinking, there are tricks to dogs and horses so must be for chickens...mustn't there?

Also, is it normal for my silkies to stay in bed if its a gloomy very rainy day? they just don't seem to get up when it's like this!

Hello!

Just a quick report to say than you to everyone and that Onslow is doing just fine! She is a right trooper and cruised through that - I gave her her tablets wrapped in mince which was so much easier for all concerned and she has a nice scab on the worst wound and looks like little feathers are growing on her other one.

So very very happy, she is one cool chicken and such fun to have around - oodles of personality!

You would be amazed what a chicken can pull through.
Had one that was attacked by a ferret. Bit right through her skin and you could see her skull.She healed well and is over 10 years of age.

It is an antibiotic ointment.Here it comes out of a tube and can get it anywhere here in the us. You should be able to find something like it there.

...but my vet said once she had scabbed over to let her be? Its all scabbed now...I cleaned it twice a day until then

she is quite famous now - I have a small weekly radio spot and they asked about her last week and this! lol

Back
Top Bottom