URGENT HELP PLEASE!

Blondiechic

Chirping
7 Years
Feb 1, 2012
My Onslow (the sweetest chicken around) was just attacked by a dog - she has an open wound towards the bottom half of her side, I know you say taking them to the vet kills them but surely this calls for a visit? What else can I do? Any suggestions on treatment? She is my most tame of the girls and I really do love her.

I would never say taking a chicken to a vet kills them, just make sure you've got a vet w/ avian experience!

Can you post a pic of her wounds? How deep are they? Is she missing skin, muscle? How is the bleeding?

I don't know how to post a photo on here, she has a cut/bite and there is some blood, she has an open wound... I am looking for a vet now who knows about them - difficult in a city... I am having a bit of a panic to be honest.

I'm so sorry! Poor girl. Can you post a picture? Chicken can heal even from bad injuries. Keep her warm, clean the wound do not use hydrogen peroxide on any deep wound (kills cells, slows healing) put triple antibiotic ointment on the wound. Keep her eating by feeding her cat food, hard boiled eggs, scrambled eggs, buttermilk etc. I don't feel taking her to a vet kills them. If you can afford a vet do take her and at least have it evaluated. You can also go to your local feed store and purchase antibiotics.

Thank you - so would betadine be ok to put on? Diluted? The bird vet isn't in until tomorrow afternoon...

can you pack it with neosporin for now? it would be a start- keep her in a quiet place, that will help reduce stress

Last edited:
Well, its not bleeding which i guess is good but her feathers are missing and there is an open wound. She let me clean it and she is in their shed - she thinks she ought to be out and about and is behaving like normal
I have booked her for the vet tomorrow afternoon with the bird vet, but they say I ought to take her tonight - if she is behaving normally then surely tomorrow afternoon would be better? They are open until 8 and said they can fit me in at the last minute if I need to go - its 4.40 here now.
What did I ought to look out for if she is badly affected? Currently she is eating and moving about - although that happens more if she sees me... I need to stalk her more.

My little chicken Georgia got chomped by a dog and she pulled through! For right now, if she's got an open wound but it's not bleeding- I agree w/ the suggestion that you put some neosporin around the edges at least, lay a sterile bandage over it if you've got one and see how she is in the morning. Chicken feathers and skin are made to tear away so that they can escape predators more easily, there is a very thin layer of "skin" that also covers the muscles and guts and that may very well still be intact and you don't want to compromise it. Cleaning and disinfecting it will be the next step once she's out of shock and stable. If all you've got is betadine, I'd honestly wait to irrigate it until she (and you) have calmed and steadied a little. ((( love to you and Onslow)))

Keep her warm, pack the wound and keep her quiet in a pet carrier in the House. She will heal fine. Chickens can bounce back well. As long it's not bleeding she is warm and she will eat she will be fine . Just c
Ean would pack it, keep her in a quiet room where shecwill becwarm.

Thank you - I am a bit better now - she was good with the diluted betadine, but my chemist says we can't get neosporin in Australia - what is it exactly?
I am fairly sure the 'skin' that you spoke about is broken, the wound is more towards her bottom but on her side if that makes sense...

Back
Top Bottom