Urgent help what do you think!?

OK I have wonderful news :celebrate:celebrate:celebrateI was a bit worried over night as wondered if my oven had some turn itself off after a certain number of hours safety thing :lol:. Got up this morning and it was still on, quick peek no chicks :hitThen about 9am saw that the temp had dipped quite a lot so went over to look and decided to take a peek and there was a little wet chick :jumpy:jumpy:jumpy:jumpystupidly didn't see if it had come out of the silkie egg or an Araucana egg. Thank goodness for my fancy oven! Our normal one doesn't go that low!

Next question - bearing in mind that Doris left these eggs and has a 4 (maybe 5 - I didn't take much notice as didn't realise it was a chick until the next day!) day old chick will she accept these babies (I say plural with total hope that I get at least one more!!)? Am I better off doing it at night or in the day so I can keep a watch? Doris is a very kind lovely silkie, she even co-parented the sole chick that was born in my last hatch late last year that wasnt' one of hers (none of hers made it) so my gut says she'll be OK but don't want to put them with her and find them all dead in the morning!

Yaay! I'm so happy for you! :ya That's wonderful news!!

Thank goodness for my fancy oven! Our normal one doesn't go that low!

How low does it go? Gosh, I can't imagine attempting that with our gas oven!

I'm looking forward to your updates and more good news!
praying-smiley-2.gif

I might put in a couple wet sponges to make sure the humidity stays up.

:fl
I put a glass of water in there so should be OK.
Do you have any kind of container that you could put the eggs in so that if they hatched overnight they wouldn't be able to wander around the oven?
They are in a baking dish with the tea towel in there.

Definitely put the chicks with her at night but only if she is currently broody! I just gave my broody hen 1 chick last night that hatched at Easter. It was still doing fine this morning so tonight I will slip the other 2 in with her.
I add 1 chick in the dark and then linger for 5 minutes out of sight to see if I hear a ruckus. Then I go back and do a quick glance around in 30 to 60 minutes. If she hasn't kicked the chick out by then or attacked it, then I leave everything ALONE UNTIL IN THE MORNING (sorry caps lock got turned on). If everything is good in the morning (daylight) then it should be good.
Good luck and yea!! for a 2nd chick!!!

What a dilemma...and creative solutions!!

I'd try to sneak chicks under her at night.

Read a great story about similar situation where the keeper picked up one of mama's chicks then put down an extra. You'd have to have a good 'relationship' with mama to do that one.

Back
Top Bottom