Urgent help with new chick!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Mogz, Mar 17, 2016.

1. Mogz

Mogz Out Of The Brooder

May 1, 2015
    wales UK
    [​IMG]

This is my 4th hatch and it's been terrible no idea what has gone wrong!

But I have ended up with only one chick, one foot is curled and iv seen online that straightening it out with a plaster can work?

Also there is still black where the sac should have absorbed is this affecting the chick? I shall add photos.

Any help is appreciated!

Last edited: Mar 17, 2016
  2. TwinsLoveChicks

TwinsLoveChicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2016
    At the coop
    My Coop
    Hi! I'm sorry, I can't help you with the black thing, but packaging tape or other strong types of tape(I wouldn't use duck tape or masking tape though!) supposedly help for curled feet. Here is a helpful video.

I hope this helps! Keep us updated!

3. Mogz

Mogz Out Of The Brooder

May 1, 2015
    wales UK
    Hello and yes I used plasters as soon as I posted this and it's already improving! I'm still worried about the black though

4. TwinsLoveChicks

Mar 10, 2016
    At the coop
    My Coop
    I'm glad that her feet are better! As for the black thing, it might just be part of her umbilical cord but it seems to dark. [​IMG] Can you post more pictures? Is she acting normal otherwise? Is she eating and drinking? How old is she?
    Thanks!
    [​IMG]

5. Mogz

Mogz Out Of The Brooder

May 1, 2015
    wales UK
    Over 24hr now, not being able to walk at all was a big problem she was always on her back. But iv been dipping her beak in water a lot to keep her hydrated. She's 100% more active and can move a lot more- but I'm still scared of leaving water in with her as she's not fully mobile yet. Once my batter is over 5% I shall take closer and better photos! It's like it hasn't been totally absorbed- but iv never seen it back before. Only time iv seen unabsorbed sac myself it was like a little yellow bubble.

6. TwinsLoveChicks

Mar 10, 2016
    At the coop
    My Coop
    Quote: Are you sure that it's an unabsorbed yolk sac? I agree that it doesn't really look like one so might be the umbilical cord. [​IMG] It's good that you're keeping her hydrated and that she sounds like a pretty healthy one day chick! I wouldn't leave the water in there with her either, but instead get her to drink every 15-20 minutes or so. Good luck! keep me updated on her![​IMG]

7. Mogz

Mogz Out Of The Brooder

May 1, 2015
    wales UK
    She didn't have water over night and seems a lot more larthagic but that could be because of no water for that period. I shall pop some photos up

Last edited: Mar 18, 2016
  8. TwinsLoveChicks

Mar 10, 2016
    At the coop
    My Coop
    Quote: Yes, pictures would help. As for being lethargic, water and electrolytes are supposed to help. Has she eaten anything?

Thanks![​IMG]

9. MrsBrooke

MrsBrooke Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 11, 2014
    Magnolia, Texas
    I would apply Neosporin to the little belly scab to prevent infection from starting.

What kind of feed do you have for her? Supplementing with raw yolk can help them get some energy back.

You can place small stones in the bottom of her water to prevent her falling in and drowning, while still having access to the water between the stones. Always have water available for your birds (but I do understand why you didn't).

You could also create a chicken sling for her to practice standing and get her upright... Just place her food and water within reach. :) https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/713499/my-chicken-sling-pic The second post with the sock is a good option for young chicks strengthening their legs.

Vitamin B12 and Vitamin E in the water can help with foot/leg issues.

I hope that helps!!

MrsB

10. Mogz

Mogz Out Of The Brooder

May 1, 2015
    wales UK
    Hi guys an update, yesterday I took the plasters off and one foot had been corrected but still waiting on the second. She had started to eat the chick crumb I had down.

Unfortunately last night she died- I'm not sure why as she had plenty of food and water and was very energetic. Very sad day

Last edited: Mar 19, 2016

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by