Urgent Hen Comb Injury

gingerviolinist

Chirping
Jun 5, 2017
Looking for advice on how to treat a comb injury. Looks as if she got it stuck in some hardware cloth overnight. I've cleaned it off and will apply some Vetericyn and probably Bluekote as well over the healing process, but need to figure out a housing solution. I have a small 30sq ft coop/run for my 3 backyard hens and it's been getting down into the upper 20s/low 30s at night the past week or so. I have a couple options, but can't decide what would better short term vs long term. Any immediate help would be great as I need to decide where she will spend the night before dark.

A) Section off a corner of the coop for her to live 24/7 until she heals.
B)Bring her inside to the spare bathroom.

I'm concerned about re-acclimation and temperature tolerance if she comes inside for several days or weeks. But also that the hens may get through the cardboard barrier and further injure her comb or not have enough access to daylight inside the coop and humidity buildup.
Screen Shot 2019-12-05 at 3.43.25 PM.png

Sorry about your hen.

Are the others picking at her comb? If she's not getting picked at, then I would put her back with the flock. Otherwise, block off a section of the coop/run so she can be near the others. A large dog crate works well for separation within the run as well.

She should heal up fine.

Back
Top Bottom