Urgent!! Hen is acting sick and has runny green poop all the time.

MaterMan

In the Brooder
10 Years
Sep 25, 2009
Tennessee
]1) What type of bird , age and weight. Rhode Island Red, 1 year old, 5-7 lbs.

2) What is the behavior, exactly. Staying hunkered down, not perky like the others.

3) Is there any bleeding, injury, broken bones or other sign of trauma. She has a few feathers missing on the back of her neck.

4) What happened, if anything that you know of, that may have caused the situation. I bought her from my neighbor seperate from the others, and after a day or two of her being at my house she started acting funny.

5) What has the bird been eating and drinking, if at all. 16% Layer Pellets from TSC and occasional handful of cracked corn, and some crushed granite.

6) How does the poop look? Normal? Bloody? Runny? etc. Runny and green.

7) What has been the treatment you have administered so far? Wazine 17 in their waterer for 4 days then changed to Duramazin-10 in their waterer the last two days.

8 ) What is your intent as far as treatment? For example, do you want to treat completely yourself, or do you need help in stabilizing the bird til you can get to a vet? I can't afford to take her to the vet. It will cost more than I paid for her just by walking in the door. I will treat her.

9) If you have a picture of the wound or condition, please post it. It may help.

10) Describe the housing/bedding in use. 12x15 pen with coop, covered in loose wheat straw.

I bought three hens from my neighbor and a rooster from another fellow. Now one of my hens is acting funny. Two of my other hens got abducted by something and were killed. But this hen stays hunkered down and isn't real active. She's eating good and getting plenty of water. Her poop is kind of runny and lime green. What should I do to her? I don't want my other chickens sick. Most people around here don't know much about chickens and the vet is too expensive. I have read some other posts about green poop, but mine isn't laying around or falling down. She acts rather normal except she's not perky like she was and her poop is green. She also has some feathers missing around her neck down to her shoulders. If she has been attacked by a hawk or raccoon what can I do? Any help would be appreciated.

I just checked her again and she doesn't feel like she's been eating much. What should I give her to eat to make her feel better? I have read the yogurt is good.

Here is a chicken poo page that shows different chicken poo whether healthy or not.

http://www.chat.allotment.org.uk/index.php?topic=17568.0

Yoghurt is good for them it helps with gut bacteria.
Apple cider vinega in the water is also good to absorb vitamins.
If she has been attacked by a predater maybe she is in a bit of shock. Maybe put her inside and keep her at a stable temperature.

Isolate her from your other chickens until you know what is affecting her.

Are your other chickens pecking her?
I wish you all the best in finding out what is wrong with her.

The other hen and rooster are not pecking her, but she isn't as hard to catch as the other two. So today I picked her up and checked her over good. I didn't see any mites or lice. Now I have her out of the pen away from the others so she can roam around for the afternoon.

Here is an update on my hen if anybody is having similar symptoms.
This morning I got off work and came in and scrambled the chickens 3 eggs. I gave a portion to the two in my pen and gave the rest to Little Red (sick hen). She stayed out free ranging last night. She felt really skinny yesterday afternoon, so today I gave her some eggs, plain yogurt, and some spinach and lettuce. Now she is acting like she feels better. Her head is held high and she is getting around a lot faster. I don't know if she wasn't eating before or she had never ate the kind of feed I was using. Anyway she seems to be better and I plan on letting her free range all of today and put her back in the pen tomorrow if she doesn't have discolored poop. Thanks max101 for the poo link, that was really helpful. I think according to the pictures that she wasn't eating like I thought and she was passing bile in her stools. Anyway- I appreciate the help and this site is better than any person who has had chickens forever. Simply because there are so many threads and messages about every kind of sickness... and everything else one needs to know.

Back
Top Bottom