1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Urgent - Huge swelled organ hanging from the mouth, tumor ?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by rosiethechicken, Apr 30, 2017.

1. rosiethechicken

rosiethechicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 2, 2010
    Went to close up coop and found Red with huge swelling hanging from the mouth. The swelling is like a bulb with a tube (airway?) at the end. Her tongue (?) is hard like a beak and black/red. There is a hard tumor like growth at the left side of that tube end (looking at the picture, attached).

I washed with cold water and put her under a cage so others cannot pick her any more in the morning.

She was ok yesterday and even saw her today in the morning with nothing unusual. For a year or so, I would hear her "cough" once a while. Anything I can do to save her ?

Appreciate it.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 30, 2017
  2. Wyorp Rock

Wyorp Rock Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    Can you take her to a vet - it looks like she needs immediate care.

3. rosiethechicken

Aug 2, 2010
    I read bit more on this and found a thread from 2013 with someone else having issue. Looks like it could be a bee / wasp / spider bite inside the throat. Gave her tiny bit of benadryl last night, some electrolyte liquid.

All vets around here are into mostly dogs, cats etc.

She is still there this morning, her wattle is still red. But the swelling is a bit bloody and mucus. Gave her 1/2 cc of children benadryl, electrolyte water and 125 mg of amoxicillin.

Last edited: May 1, 2017
  4. Wyorp Rock

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    Is the throat/tongue still swollen?

5. rosiethechicken

Aug 2, 2010
    Yes, I may not have given enough benadryl last night. Got liquid ben this morning and gave her 1/2 cc dose. Looks like the poison affected the tissue pretty bad and her tongue is cutting into the swell.

After reading up on the anatomy, looks like the part thats affected is Glottis.

6. Wyorp Rock

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains

7. rosiethechicken

Aug 2, 2010
    2 people like this.
  8. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    Wow, never seen anything like that. Do you have any prednisone? I wonder if that would help? If she were mine I would tube fluids, then baby bird food.

9. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    1 person likes this.
  10. rosiethechicken

Aug 2, 2010
    There was only one thread that seems similar to my situation.... https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/763473/horrible-swollen-thing-coming-out-of-my-hens-mouth
    The bird did not survive in that case.

Unfortunately no prednisone. Couldnt come up with any on jeffers or TS site. Any recommendations on where I can get it ?

Note: Thanks for the reference on tube feeding.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by