Urgent - Huge swelled organ hanging from the mouth, tumor ?

rosiethechicken

Songster
9 Years
Aug 2, 2010
Went to close up coop and found Red with huge swelling hanging from the mouth. The swelling is like a bulb with a tube (airway?) at the end. Her tongue (?) is hard like a beak and black/red. There is a hard tumor like growth at the left side of that tube end (looking at the picture, attached).

I washed with cold water and put her under a cage so others cannot pick her any more in the morning.

She was ok yesterday and even saw her today in the morning with nothing unusual. For a year or so, I would hear her "cough" once a while. Anything I can do to save her ?

Appreciate it.

Last edited:
I read bit more on this and found a thread from 2013 with someone else having issue. Looks like it could be a bee / wasp / spider bite inside the throat. Gave her tiny bit of benadryl last night, some electrolyte liquid.

All vets around here are into mostly dogs, cats etc.

She is still there this morning, her wattle is still red. But the swelling is a bit bloody and mucus. Gave her 1/2 cc of children benadryl, electrolyte water and 125 mg of amoxicillin.

Last edited:
I read bit more on this and found a thread from 2013 with someone else having issue. Looks like it could be a bee / wasp / spider bite inside the throat. Gave her tiny bit of benadryl last night, some electrolyte liquid.

All vets around here are into mostly dogs, cats etc.

She is still there this morning, her wattle is still red. But the swelling is a bit bloody and mucus. Gave her 1/2 cc of children benadryl, electrolyte water and 125 mg of amoxicillin.
Is the throat/tongue still swollen?

Is the throat/tongue still swollen?
Yes, I may not have given enough benadryl last night. Got liquid ben this morning and gave her 1/2 cc dose. Looks like the poison affected the tissue pretty bad and her tongue is cutting into the swell.

After reading up on the anatomy, looks like the part thats affected is Glottis.

Quote: I'm glad you found the name of that body part! I will tuck that into my memory (really my notes
big_smile.png
).

Hopefully the Benedryl will start to help with the swelling. Once it goes down, then you can see how much tissue damage there is.

Is she able to breath ok?

Wow, never seen anything like that. Do you have any prednisone? I wonder if that would help? If she were mine I would tube fluids, then baby bird food.

Wow, never seen anything like that. Do you have any prednisone? I wonder if that would help? If she were mine I would tube fluids, then baby bird food.
There was only one thread that seems similar to my situation.... https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/763473/horrible-swollen-thing-coming-out-of-my-hens-mouth
The bird did not survive in that case.

Unfortunately no prednisone. Couldnt come up with any on jeffers or TS site. Any recommendations on where I can get it ?

Note: Thanks for the reference on tube feeding.

Back
Top Bottom