URGENT I think she's dying!! EDITED: cocci confirmed! p. 3

jumpy.gif

In answer to your question yes... cocci can severely damage the intestines and cause malabsorption.

Wonderful news that Lillith is doing better. You don't realize until the threat of losing one how special they are to you. Only a true chicken loving MOM would go the extent that you did to find the answer!! Way to GO!!
smile.png
yippiechickie.gif

Stacey and Olivia ~

Thanks so much for the good report! Like everyone else
smile.png
I'm happy to hear that Lillith is doing so well. And especially thank you, Stacey, for the educational tutorial. This will be really helpful for us. I didn't realize that the Cocci could begin with a damp condition in the chick's area. Nor that dirt is important in their early days. I'll be receiving chicks in June, and plan on getting them outside for play as early as possible.

Carla

Lillith is totally recovered, as far as I can tell. She's eating, pooping and acting totally normal. I suppose she (and all the chicks) might have some internal intestinal damage that may be a problem in the long run, but it's not evident now. They're all acting totally vigorous and healthy. The other chicks had been having some diarrhea in the days before Lillith got sick, and that has totally stopped, too.

Vamp-a-Billy, get a fecal sample in to a vet for a "fecal float" test to confirm cocci. good luck!

Stacey

Stacey and Olivia.. I see it's been a few weeks since the last post, but I'm glad to have seen this info and will catalog it just in case! It's great to see your Lilith has survived it! I have enjoyed your boating sites and blogs... just amazing!!!

Regarding cost of fecal float for cocci... I have a bill dated just YESTERDAY.. my vet only charged $8 for the test. One thing you might know by now.. it probably will pay to look for a vet before you need one again...

I have a 3.5 year old house rabbit who got sick and wouldn't eat thursday night and friday morning so took her to our vet. She was also urine soaked Friday morning and left a couple little pools (approx 1 T) each of clear red urine and was sitting scrunched up staring. (she LOVES her litterbox so for her not to use it we knew something was wrong).

Since I have gotten my chickens, the fear of Coccideosis (sp?) has been a concern because I'd read that was a disease that my bun could pick up from them. So I decided to bag up some poops from my chickens (saw BA drop a runny one) so brought it in along with some rabbit droppings.

My bunny spent Friday night and was given pain meds and antibiotics, and was released Saturday afternoon. The verdict was a UTI and was sent home with 15ml of Cefa drops to dose 1.5ml for 10 days. She isn't totally well yet, but is perky and playful, but it's good to know it's not the dreaded COCCI sickness.

My entire bill ($30 overnight stay, $8 fecal float and including $15 meds) was $53. She didn't even charge for the pain shot... why? I don't know.. she once only charged for a fecal $8 (hookworm scare) and not an office visit... I love her! ... since she just told me of negative results over the counter.. so nice.

It took me a couple years to find our awesome vet. I went to 3 different vets before I found one with practical experience (albeit 20 miles away) that treats (I've heard) horses to hedgehogs. This vet works with many of the local animal rescues including a rabbit rescue (turns out to be the way I learned of her). When my bunny was young, I knew I needed to find a vet who would see rabbits, and that turned out to be a challenge much like it would be finding one who would see or at least do tests for a chicken!

Maybe by now you've located a vet with more affordable rates, but a lot depends on their overhead expenses I'm assuming. If not I'd suggest finding out if you have a rabbit rescue or bird rescue, etc in your area. Rabbits like chickens are in that "livestock" group and let's face it there aren't many people who bring them in (have too many or can't afford to or don't see them as pets), so the problem is that the vets don't get a lot of experience in them (even if they are willing to see them). There is also an issue I've heard with vets having the ability to process tiny amounts of blood. That was told to me by a local vet that works with birds who said he has to send off his blood samples to the University Vet school to be processed. The feed stores also might know of good one. Good luck! And hope your hen is still well!

Thanks Alalele-

I did spend all day calling all the vets within about an hour and a half of my house. The cheapest one charged me I think $27 or so for the fecal float and didn't have the meds: I had luckily located the ONLY feed store in southern Maine to have it in stock, another 45 minute drive away, and bought the Sulmet for $11. So if you factor in the gas it was probably a $50 incendent.

When I was calling around talking to vets and bird-rescuers and others trying to find someone to do the fecal float, I mentioned that people I knew only paid $8-$10 for the test, and everyone said, well, it costs $xx here!..... So I don't know if that's just a product of there being less poultry agriculture here or what, but I believe I pretty well exhausted the possibilities.

I do now have an avian vet I can use in emergencies, however, due to the cost I certainly won't be doing it often.

Glad to hear you were able to get dx and meds for your pets easily, hope they are all doing well!! Lillith -our pullet- seems to be fine!

Thanks for your kind words, and please don't forget to check out Liv's video (below) and vote! 3 days left till the polls close!

Back
Top Bottom