URGENT I think she's dying!! EDITED: cocci confirmed! p. 3

SeaChick

Songster
12 Years
Apr 25, 2007
Southern Maine
(edited to add at 8:00 am: She is really in bad shape... Just huddled on my lap with eyes closed and her head hunched up against her body. If I put her on a table she just sits down and huddles there. Please if anyone has any advice let me know!! This is my daughter's favorite chick!!)

We had a field trip outside in the yard yesterday evening and I noticed our 8-week old EE pullet Lillith chasing some bees of some type. Later when we brought them in, Olivia noticed a tiny spot of blood on her comb. No other injuries, so I dismissed it. She was acting fine.

However, NOW she is really sick!!! All of a sudden!! Came down this morning and she is huddled, puffed-up on the roost. Zero interest in food, even the warm mash that all the chicks go nuts for!!! I am so worried!!

She is acting very sick, not moving, just huddled on my lap right now. Her crop had some firm mushy stuff in it, so I thought maybe it was impacted from eating grass yesterday. I have massaged the crop and given lightly-sweetened water by dribbling it along her beak, along with maybe a half-teaspoon yogurt. She is not enthusiastic about this.

I have been holding her almost an hour and no poop. That is also not normal. HELP!!

She is normally very lively; she's sleeping on my lap right now. VERY WRONG.

Could it have been a bee sting?

Advice??

Last edited:
I am so very sorry to hear this! Basic support measures ( hydration)
I would take her to a vet.

More info if needed:

Feed is a mix of the organic grower they'd been on and a new bag of Dumor chick starter that we've been mixing in for the last 10 days or so. As noted she was outside for 30 minutes yesterday eating grass, etc. No herbicides/pesticides but there was corn gluten applied to lawn 2 weeks ago and some organic fertilzer used in the adjascent garden a couple days ago (she was not IN the garden, though).

"chick grit" (the small stuff from TSC) has been sprinkled "like salt" on the feed, as they don't seem to pick it up if offered plain. I have no idea if she's been eating enough of it.

Chick is 8 week old EE. Up till now VERY healthy and vigorous!

She has not pooped all morning.

PLEASE help if you can think of ANYTHING else I should be doing!

Thanks.

Stacey

Thanks dlhunicorn. I am trying to keep her hydrated. Do you think plain water or slightly sweetened is best at this point?

Could it have been a bee sting?

Her crop is now full of water but she's not passing anything.

It sounds like perhaps she is having an allergic reaction to the bee sting. (crop full of water)

When I was young I was stung by a bee on the face and it swelled up like a ballon. My mom gave me a claritin and the swelling was gone in 40 mins.

Benadryl is another anti histimine. But I cant be sure how it will effect avian species.

If she is having an allergic reaction it may pass in a couple hours without treatment.

do you see or feel any swelling anywhere?

She is sitting back on her haunches in a really weird way. Does this indicate anything?

sicklillith.jpg

No swelling that I can see. Last night after we brought them inside, my DD noticed a tiny spot of blood on near her nostril- on the comb area. it didn't wipe off, so I suspected some type small wound, but it was pin-prick size which is why I'm thinking it may have been a sting. But no swelling. Also, this AM her crop wasn't full of water, it just had a sort of pliable mass in it. It's gotten full of the water I've been dribbling along her beak.... and she's not passing anything.

Would a bee sting from 5 pm yesterday still be causing her to be sick today?

Back
Top Bottom