URGENT I think she's dying!! EDITED: cocci confirmed! p. 3

oh, seachick, I am so sorry, I would think if it were a bee sting she would have reacted immediately to it just like people do...I have no advice to give you and for that I am so sorry.

Oh poor Lillith! She looks dazed and confused as to why this is happening. I'll be thinking of her today and hoping she pops back to normal again very soon.

She finally pooped. At first I thought it was just a loose stool (could see white urates, clear mucusy/runny stuff, and soft dark poop...) but when I stirred it up I saw this dark-reddish-orange stuff. Is it blood? OH NO! What does that mean??

lillithpoop.jpg

She does seem so very ill...take a poo sample to the vet and have a faecal.
You can also give a bit of bread with peanut butter on it (just in case she swallowed smehting metal and sharp) it will help pass it through her system (have seen this advised in the vet literature for suspected metal poisoning) ...you can also give her a bit of activated charcoal (wont hurt if it does not help). Other than that and taking to vet...
If she passes more blood get a bird supplement with vit K in it. Get the faecal . :aww

thanks. been on the phone an hour trying to find someone who will do a chicken fecal float. Waiting for calls back. The only one I found so far is an hour away and charge almost $30 for the float and then another $30 if they need to do a gram stain.
ep.gif

Lillith has perked up somewhat. Maybe it's the water? she still won't eat, though. I have her sitting on my lap trying to get another poo that isn't mixed with pine shavings, to bring to the vet. I really, really, really hope I can find a cheaper one...

I sent pics of the poo & bird and her symptoms to our state vet and he says it sounds like cocci. He advised starting my other chicks on medicated feed... but isn't 8 weeks a bit old for that?

Medicated feed wont help an active case of cocci. She'd need Sulmet treatment or Amprolium treatment now, if that's what it is. Feeding medicated feed helps them build immunity, but doesnt actually treat it.

yeah, he was talking about feeding the other chicks the medicated feed, not Lillith.

But I still thought they needed to be on medicated feed by 3 weeks to make any difference....

I'm waiting for a new poop, and will take it to the EXPENSIVE vet when I get one. None of the "regular" vets will do a bird float.

I would think any vet capable of doing a faecal float for cocci and worms? You are right on that price...shees.
You might try giving these folks a call to find a veterinarian or other facility to help you wiht the faecal float...explaining your problem in an email before hand and that your bird is a beloved PET in dire need might facilitate things a bit... a telephone call might get you the info on the vet you need. (might help to send an email with the link to this thread beforehand?)
http://www.avianhaven.org/contacts.html

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom