What did you do in the garden today?

I think my wife has that. I always said she loves indecision. She even has trouble with a yes or no question.:idunno
I drive my DH nuts...he thinks I have a brain fart when in reality I'm thinking a million thoughts rapidly, & do Not want to engage the mouth until I know what I'm gonna reply with. It's kinda funny, but then kinda not when he is in a mood. Oh well! Get used to it buddy,😳 you ain't no picnic to deal with either at times, ya know? 🤣

I sat the peat pot ice cube tray with collard seeds on a heating pad to help them germinate. Eggshells drying for the chickens in the background...

View attachment 3816633
My DH gets ticked about my egg shell, coffee ground & banana peel saving, but I get more ticked if he tosses it in the trash! I found a place to set them so he doesn't notice them now. Why is he not on board with practical recycling & repurposing? 🤔

Ahh...he's a good guy, he just gets upset with clutter on the counter...I get it.

Last edited:
It is still unseasonably warm here! After work I watered seeds & seedlings again...& actually hosed myself down, clothes and all. It felt good. Then I took a shower, felt even better. I cannot believe I'm running a/c in the house in April! It's a first.

Today 80s, then it goes back to 60s which is more normal for this time of year. I am taking today to Garden!!! 😜

Screenshot_20240430_105922_WBOC Weather.jpg

Last edited:
My DH gets ticked about my egg shell, coffee ground & banana peel saving, but I get more ticked if he tosses it in the trash! I found a place to set them so he doesn't notice them now. Why is he not on board with practical recycling & repurposing? 🤔

Ah...he's a good guy, he just gets upset with clutter on the counter...I get it.
I try to recycle as much as possible here. I save most of my cardboard to use as weed barrier in the garden. DH used to get mad that it was piling up in the garage but now I have a she-shed so out of sight, out of mind. 😂 I also have a stoneware compost jar in the kitchen for veggie scraps, banana peels, coffee grinds, etc. I don't even allow milk to be wasted. Ours ends up expired more than I care to admit. So I dump it in the garden or compost.

This is Penny and now I'm wondering if her name needs to be Petey! Anyone who might know the difference between a pullet and a Cockerel.
View attachment 3816095
I've got one of those Roo or Hen types, too...sure looks Roosterish, but acts like a Hen & does not even attempt to crow & is a super wimp. The last time I was gifted a bird like this, she was a game mix, looked very Rooster-like, but that one laid eggs. This black chicken...no eggs & no crowing...yet, anyway. I do think it's a Roo...just a late bloomer maybe? What do ya think?
20240430_102720.jpg 20240430_102511.jpg 20240430_102439.jpg

Last edited:
I try to recycle as much as possible here. I save most of my cardboard to use as weed barrier in the garden. DH used to get mad that it was piling up in the garage but now I have a she-shed so out of sight, out of mind. 😂 I also have a stoneware compost jar in the kitchen for veggie scraps, banana peels, coffee grinds, etc. I don't even allow milk to be wasted. Ours ends up expired more than I care to admit. So I dump it in the garden or compost.
Same here:) Ever since I started Bokashi composting, I even went further: meat, small bones, cheese, pasta, chicken feathers... Everything goes to compost bin!

Ah...he's a good guy, he just gets upset with clutter on the counter...I get it.

My eggshell collection, over a quart of crushed shells in the bag. I think I've trained my chickens to eat those reconstituted oyster/coral crumbles I bought last year by mixing them with eggshells.

IMG_3974.JPG

Last edited:
My tomatoes are flowering... 👏😁

Collected a bunch of lettuce tonight to make chicken cesear salad for dinner.

Anyone else finish your spring rush to get everything planted and then afterwards you feel anxious because there's nothing to do but wait? I keep prowling the garden like 3x a day because I'm sure there's SOMETHING I forgot to do...
😂😂😂
😂 I am having this problem.

Radishes are up, all three colors of California poppy are sprouting, almost all of the corn is up, beans are starting to sprout.

It got to 76 yesterday then it got windy and got down to 39 last night. Everything seems ok in the garden.

My son had enough time before school to go check on the chickens with me. Sadly he found one of our 13 week old pullets dead on the coop floor. No injury, no sickness, just died in the night. Seems like it's always the "favorite" chicken that passes away. 😔 She was a sweet thing.

Back
Top Bottom