Urgent my hens won't accept new hen!

motherhen19

Hatching
6 Years
Sep 29, 2013
Hello, I re homed a skyline hen with a bad foot, I took her to the vets and she had an abscess removed and she's doing well. But I've had her for over a week and she's having to sleep inside my home because my other 4 girls (ex battery hens) are so violent. Gloria the new hen has a bald back with some feathers trying to grow. So everyday since we've had her shes been outside in a different run but next to each other so they can see but not touch! A few days ago we thought we'd let them out together and they attacked her which I expected! They had the whole garden so she was able to run away, but today. We put them all in the run together, at first they were very noisy and alot of chasing happened but they calmed down after an hour so I went inside, kept popping my head out every 5 mins to make sure everything was ok and they were sitting down ignoring each other but when I went out an hour later 3 of my ex batts had cornered her and were pecking at her back which caused bleeding!! So I separated them of course! But I'm just so worried, I want her to live in a coop like the other chickies not have to be brought inside every night. I just don't know what to do! Anyone have any advice? Sorry for the long post I'm pretty anxious and upset about this whole situation!! Thanks for any replies in advance!

I've never introduced a new hen to a flock before, only a full grown roos and had 0 problems because of his size.(way bigger)
I do know that size does matter when it comes to adding pullets in the flock. Until they get as big as the older hens, they will get chased, but they are young and sprite and can get away . I always get varieties that will mature to the same size.
Is your new hen the same size? Also an injured or sickly chicken will get picked on. Your new hen needs a full recovery before introduction. I think the pen right next to them but not together is a good start for now. Can you build her a box in that pen so you don't have to bring her in every night? This could be a long time to get her healed and feathers back so might need to look at long term separation. I don't think a week is long enough for introduction. Once she is healed, try putting one of your original hens in with her so she is not out numbered. Free range would be better so she can get away if need be. I'd still do 1 on 1 not all of them together.

I have not personally dealt with this problem but I'm sure if you copy and paste your same post in the forums for Chicken behavior and Egg Laying or Managing your Flock rather than emergencies diseases and illnesses you'll get some nice folks to respond that have gotten creative with ideas to help.

Last edited:
She's bigger than the others but yeah injured so that must be why.
I'm new to this forum so I wasn't sure where to post about it so I posted in a couple of forums!
Thanks for your advice I'll wait till she's healed and then put one with her like you suggested, yes we'll have to build or buy a house for her, living inside is certainly not ideal for her or us!

Good advice above.

Also when introducing new birds to an existing flock you should quarantine them away from your healthy birds for about 4 weeks first. There are way too many threads here about people bringing home diseases with new birds.
May be too late now if you have already put them together but good to remember for next time.

Another thing you could try when she is healed is introducing one bird to her to start with so she gets to know somebody and those two learn to get on before being put with all of them.

Last edited:
Thanks for the advice I think I will introduce one at a time. I took her to the vets the day after I got her and the vet couldn't pick up on anything wrong except the foot which was caused by a wound not sure how as I only got her after it had happened.

Back
Top Bottom