URGENT! NEED HELP ASAP! Coccidiosis!

StandardLover

Chirping
8 Years
Apr 6, 2011
Hi,
Some of my chicks recently developed coccidiosis. I was decideding between two products, sulmet, and corid. Which of these is better. Also can poultry cocidiosis spread to goats and horses. Should I give them the meds too? They are already pooping blood. Is it too late? Thank you.

Last edited:
I'm not an authority, but I believe Corid is the drug of choice for cocci. - Yes, I believe it can be spread to other animals - however, they are more resilient than your chickens will be.....

Treat quick....

Hi StandardLover,
other animals cannot get chicken coccidiosis. There are different coccidiosis forms for different animals but they don't cross-infect.

Just treat as soon as you can, and hopefully they'll be fine. It's hard to tell what the outcome will be once they start pooping blood, but if you act quickly you may not lose any at all.

Best of luck,
Erica

I started mine on the corid Thursday morning. By Friday afternoon they were showing signs of improvement. Today is day 3 and they are no longer puffed up. Mine are a month old. I got the corid from tractor supply company for 23 dollars. I am using 1/2 a teaspoon per gallon. I haven't lost any of mine yet. I hope this helps.

corid works well mix it in there water.stick to the directions. no time to wast . after u see them getting better feed some yogurt . it will help. good luck

Sorry guess I should have said per gallon of water. The first day I started treating them I mixed vitamin water and plain yogurt with their starter food. They loved it.

Thank you for all the help. I got Sulmet instead because I wasn't sure about the amount to give with the corid since it was made for cattle. It is day 4, no more bloody poop and they all have energy again. Some are still a little puffed up but not bad. I have a question though. I found what looked to be like bloody tofu on the side of the cage today. What could that be? it was circular and longer. I was thinking intestine, sheading them? Thank you.

Back
Top Bottom