URGENT - New mother not accepting chick

QualityPolish

Songster
9 Years
Apr 7, 2011
Utah
Well, this is the first time this Polish has had chicks of her own. Today once Iarrived home from work I went out to check (Today is hatch day) and low and behold someone had hatched while I was gone. But she wasn't in the nest :hmm So I nudged her back over to mom and mom pecked her! Again and again! I hurried and snatched the chick away.....now she is under a heat lamp in the other box. What should I do? We have 8 more hatching under her as we speak. What should I do for the chick and her mother? I've NEVER had this problem. I'll be back asap I'm going back out to the coop but I will check back here in a few minutes.

Well, I'm just worried that she's not exactly sure what she is suppose to be doing. I.e. raising chicks. I think she the egg instinct is there but the mothering one is not. It sounds like I'll be up late tonight :hmm waiting for the others just to make sure. I lifted her up and put the chick back under her and she did nothing for about 30 minutes. Then she starting pecking her again, this time grabbing the head (I could have sworn I heard this was like to kill the weak chicks or something????) I'm so worried..................... Should I try again at night?

I would wait and see what she does with the other chicks. That will tell you a LOT about her reaction to this chick. If she denies the other chicks, then this is just an instinct issue. If she accepts the other chicks, I would try sneaking it back under her when it is dark... She may conclude that another hatched while she was sleeping.

Mkay, I'll try that tonight..keeping my fingers crossed... We've got 3 pipping right now so hopefully my tonight they'll be out.

Is it best to have her in a nesting box (Off ground so we have some netting to keep chicks from falling out) or move her to a small run?

Back
Top Bottom