URGENT - Please help! Duck has prolapsed vent

Take a look at this link. http://www.thepoultrysite.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6383

Remember that a tub of warm water is a big help. Also, do you have anything like KY Jelly or "personal lubricant" as it's called? Can you send someone out for some?

My feeling - not a vet, here - is I would try to see if the large part is an egg or not. If so, I would see if it can gently be guided out of the canal. Then I would clean the tissue and attempt to replace it, get her into a secure box or cage with clean bedding, where it's relatively warm, and clean, and dark, and check on her in a few hours.

Ooh yes, got any salt/epsom you could add to the water? That would help with swelling as well. And is a little more soothing than plain water.

I can see why you're thinking egg. It does appear that way. Have you been able to get a good look? The lubricant would help with that as well as getting things back in place. Bless her heart. :(

I will say I'm glad you did a pic. From this angle it doesn't look quite as bad as I personally was expecting. Looks like if you can dislodge whatever is/may be stuck, you might have a good chance.

Do you have any petroleum jelly (vaseline)?

I would try lubricating from the end of the tube up, see if you can get it to release what may be the egg there.

If I were there I would try for you, but I can't.

I know you had asked just to see.. No way would I break the egg if that's what it is. I'd try everything to NOT break it.

I am freaking out. I don't know what to look for or how to help get the egg out. Is there an opening on this red thing where I can help get the egg out of it?

I dont have any vasoline but what do you mean "lubricate the end of the 'tube'...what tube? (I'm sorry but these are my first ducks and have never experienced anything like this.)

I would find the end that's going toward her.. Then find your way FROM there around the egg- you should see some sort of opening- or "pucker" as it may be. I'd try to ease that open and get the egg out. Do you have someone else who can help you? Do you have anything lubricating? Veg oil, even?

Back
Top Bottom