Urgent, please help. My duck has an egg and insides hanging out her vent

Does it feel like a gizzard? You would probably only know if you've previously butchered a duck or chicken. But it's the only other thing I can think of that would naturally be that shape. :idunno (Of course a gizzard is not supposed to be in that place, but nothing else is supposed to be hanging out that way either.)

Last edited:
How is she doing? @Countryside Living

It's a long shot, but would you happen to have or can get 50% dextrose solution or dimethyl sulfoxide, both can be applied topically to the tissue to reduce swelling which will in affect aid getting it back inside.

If you give us your general location we may be able to find an avian vet nearby.

Thank you for all the replies.
I kept her in a soft basket with a towel over the top overnight in a dark room to keep her calm as was worried all the intervening would stress her out. She’s had some water this morning with a little instavits mixed in. The mass still looks the same this morning. I noticed on the towel was some normal poop along various blobs of white discharge. She seems to preen at drink normally at the moment so hopefully she isn’t suffering too much.
I know it sounds thick but on the point of trying to push it back in, I can’t work out where to try to push back in, the vent appears to the side of the mass?

I did find a Vet that would look at her however sadly the appointment fee is £210 which I’m not able to pay and with treatment on top no doubt would run into £100s more :(

She is currently soaking in warm water.
Is anyone around to help?
From what I’ve been reading in other threads they say to try and get the mass back inside?
Could anyone advise how best to do this?

I’ve pinched the mass between two fingers and it just feels like soft (but keeps its integrity if that makes sense , it stays a round mass but definitely nothing hard or shell like.

Back
Top Bottom