URGENT PLEASE HELP!! Possible eggbound??

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Claye, Dec 20, 2013.

1. Claye

Claye Out Of The Brooder

Feb 12, 2013
    Brisbane, Australia
    We have a wyandotte hen and today we have noticed all her feathers around her bum are missing & around her vent which is bleeding!!? Help! Really would like some advice to what I should do??

[​IMG]

2. PolkaDot77

PolkaDot77 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 26, 2012
    Boise, ID
    Oh no! Is she picking the feathers out? Are other hens picking them? Is she still eating and drinking and otherwise acting well? What does her poo look like? Is the bleeding coming from inside the vent or outside around it? Is it possible she suffered some type of injury to her vent area? If she is egg bound, you can usually feel her tummy area and it will feel hard and distended. Is this the case?

3. Claye

Claye Out Of The Brooder

Feb 12, 2013
    Brisbane, Australia
    I think she has picked them out herself so something is going on. She seems to be eating and drinking fine and in good spirits. Hubby is giving her a bath at the moment so see if that helps. I think it was coming from inside. We have had a feel around but not really sure the lower part of her backside does look swollen.

4. PolkaDot77

PolkaDot77 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 26, 2012
    Boise, ID
    Where is her vent in that picture? Near the top? Is the cut under her vent? It almost looks like a prolapsed vent, but I can't locate her vent in that picture! This link has really good info on prolapsed vent. It recommends using Vetricyn, which is exactly what I was going to suggest, regardless of what is wrong. I'm not sure if it's available in Australia but it's a GREAT product (I even use it on human cuts and scrapes) that might be worth finding. Glad to hear she is eating drinking like normal.

http://www.the-chicken-chick.com/2012/04/prolapse-vent-causes-treatment-graphic.html

Last edited: Dec 20, 2013

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by