URGENT PLEASE HELP!!!

Animal-lady7

Chirping
Apr 11, 2021
I know these are not chickens or ducks or any birds but I need help. I found a nest of native Australian rats, unfortunately after discovering the nest I found 2 rats running loose far from the nest one was insured and both have now been touched by humans!! I don’t know what to do!! Help please!! I have divectolact for them but I don’t know if I should put the non insured one back or if the mum will kill it!!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    224.6 KB · Views: 8
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    415.3 KB · Views: 7
I hope someone who is an expert will weigh in, but it seems the best chance they have is to be back with their mom if that nest you found is for sure their nest and the mom is still alive.

Years ago my dad worked with a friend who did a lot of wildlife rescue. He said that it was pretty much a myth that animal moms would reject young that had been touched by humans.

But I can’t help but wonder why they were out of the nest - whether it was raided by some kind of predator and that’s how the one was injured.

I do hope someone else can give you advice, but it sounds as if you have the milk supplement, you have some ability to try to help if you think that is their best shot.

I too was told by some experts at the sanctuary down the road from me that the touching thing is a myth, and if you can return them to the nest they have a much better chance. Theres a method using sand or flour to ring the nest to let you know if mom has returned or not that they often use with cottontails you might make use of for your own comfort, but other than that little bit of advice, I'm not much help with raising anything so young.

I took a whole nest of baby red squirrels out of the air cleaner of my truck and laid them in the yard . I came back from town they were gone . Two days later I was checking my blue bird houses and there they were all 6 with the mother . How cute they were . I touched them all and she didn't kill them . Needless to say my air cleaner was trashed . Oh well it needed a new one any how . :wee :frow:yesss:

I took a whole nest of baby red squirrels out of the air cleaner of my truck and laid them in the yard . I came back from town they were gone . Two days later I was checking my blue bird houses and there they were all 6 with the mother . How cute they were . I touched them all and she didn't kill them . Needless to say my air cleaner was trashed . Oh well it needed a new one any how . :wee :frow:yesss:
I was going to mention a similar story... except mama burrowed into the seat in my boat! Needed a new one of those as well, anyway! 😅

As mentioned above this ''touching'' is a rather a myth (for most animals in most cases). Handling babies in front of the mother will stress her as this is seen as a disturbance (which is not the case here) - just minimize the handling and the mother will most likely resume her care (if placed near their nest). Is one severely injured?

Other than that just beware of pathogens, especially if you have other animals to reduce chances of transmission.

EDIT: I am not sure what divectolact is. If this is milk, I would just make sure to add some lactase preferably. Although neonatal rats have a high intestinal lactase activity, this declines around weaning (and I'm not sure how old these are).

Last edited:
I know these are not chickens or ducks or any birds but I need help. I found a nest of native Australian rats, unfortunately after discovering the nest I found 2 rats running loose far from the nest one was insured and both have now been touched by humans!! I don’t know what to do!! Help please!! I have divectolact for them but I don’t know if I should put the non insured one back or if the mum will kill it!!
Call wires.... it’s the best you can do... if you need their number send me a private message

I hope someone who is an expert will weigh in, but it seems the best chance they have is to be back with their mom if that nest you found is for sure their nest and the mom is still alive.

Years ago my dad worked with a friend who did a lot of wildlife rescue. He said that it was pretty much a myth that animal moms would reject young that had been touched by humans.

But I can’t help but wonder why they were out of the nest - whether it was raided by some kind of predator and that’s how the one was injured.

I do hope someone else can give you advice, but it sounds as if you have the milk supplement, you have some ability to try to help if you think that is their best shot.
Thanks for the advice everyone the insured baby started looking better so I have put them back with their mum and she has moved all the babies to a new and safer nest!!😍

Back
Top Bottom