Urgent, please help

CoolClucker

Songster
10 Years
Mar 10, 2013
Indiana USA
My 15 week old Araucana, Anastasia isn't feeling well. Last night when I locked them up for the night I noticed she was in the nest box instead of on the roost with the rest. I didn't think anything of it because she'd been fine all day yesterday. Today I went out and she's lethargic, she standing with the rest of the flock, out in the run, but she tucks her head down to her shoulders like a shrug, and closes her eyes like she's really sleepy. I took them some treats and she wasn't interested which is bizarre. She wouldn't eat any. I tried to scoop her up and she did her normal trot, gave me a bit of a half hearted chase, then when I picked her up in my arms ,the same thing. she is listless and lethargic. just closed her eyes and sat in my arms. None of the others are acting this way, she doesn't have a messy butt, I don't see any poo out of the ordinary. I gave her some nutri drench about an hour ago, and it doesn't seem to be doing anything yet. I'm scared to death, I don't know what's wrong with my Annie and I just want her better! They are in a coop/caged run. They are fed medicated started pellets, fresh water, treats of seed and fresh veggies, and are kept on dirt/grass in the run and sand in the coop. I also use DE and sweet pdz in the coop. Any advice is appreciated. No vet is open today to take her to. They've been moulting lately, as I was reading some of the other posts some people mentioned that. Not sure why? But thought I'd better mention it too. Also it's been pouring rain for almost 2 days straight. I tried to hand feed her and she pecked twice then wasn't interested. I put her in the coop and she hopped off the roost and walked back outside. I just don't want to lose my sweet girl. Thanks :'(

Last edited:
Even though she's on medicated feed, I would suspect Coccidiosis. It might be a good idea to purchase some 9.6% Corid liquid or 20% Corid powder from a livestock supply store and begin treating her, as Coccidiosis can kill fast, and treatment won't harm the bird even if the problem is not Coccidiosis. The Corid liquid dosage is 2 teaspoons per gallon of water, and the Corid powder dosage is 3/4 teaspoon per gallon of water. Treat for 5-7 days; do not give vitamins in the water during treatment as they will interfere. Improvement should be seen after 1-3 days.

Also, I would definitely isolate her from the other birds. Being with them will only stress her out more, and risk infecting them if her problem is contagious. Keep her in a warm, clean place. Encourage her to eat by giving treats (scrambled eggs, wet feed, mealworms, etc.); make sure she drinks, too. If necessary you might have to begin tube feeding or spoon-feeding, as you don't want her to start losing weight.

Even though she's on medicated feed, I would suspect Coccidiosis. It might be a good idea to purchase some 9.6% Corid liquid or 20% Corid powder from a livestock supply store and begin treating her, as Coccidiosis can kill fast, and treatment won't harm the bird even if the problem is not Coccidiosis. The Corid liquid dosage is 2 teaspoons per gallon of water, and the Corid powder dosage is 3/4 teaspoon per gallon of water. Treat for 5-7 days; do not give vitamins in the water during treatment as they will interfere. Improvement should be seen after 1-3 days.

Also, I would definitely isolate her from the other birds. Being with them will only stress her out more, and risk infecting them if her problem is contagious. Keep her in a warm, clean place. Encourage her to eat by giving treats (scrambled eggs, wet feed, mealworms, etc.); make sure she drinks, too. If necessary you might have to begin tube feeding or spoon-feeding, as you don't want her to start losing weight.

I agree. She could still have Coccidiosis, even if she's being fed medicated feed. Generally, Coccidosis affects younger birds than her, but can affect birds of all ages.

How old is she? Have you added any chickens lately? She has a lot of the symptoms for coccidiosis, but they usually have diarrhea, sometimes bloody. The treatment for coccida is Corid (amprollium) liquid 2 tsp per gallon of water for 5-7 days. Worms could be a problem. Check her under the vent and neck for lice and mites. Also check her crop first thing in the morning--it should be flat.

Back
Top Bottom