Urgent: post-amputation care, advice needed/I thought I would spend my Saturday doing this...

Pics
I would not, feather shafts probably won't fit in clipper slots(might depend on what blades you are using) and would dull the blades quickly(making them useless for the dog hair).
Better to use scissors to trim the feathers back to 1/4-1/2" from skin.
Figured, just thought I'd ask since it seems less traumatizing for her, thanks.

I've got some more pics, the leg was still covered in Neosporin when I unwrapped it so it might be harder to see.
So far I don't see that it has spread past the break, and the flesh over the break and around the leg is pink and seems healthy to me so I'm hoping it auto amputates at that line. The scales are starting to flake off.
We went through the same routine today, changed her bandage, cut feathers away, penicillin at .1 cc, and a thorough clean of her coop.
It stayed in the 60s all day and I was wondering if I should run a heating pad to the little coop to keep her comfortable? That's what I do for chicks when I move them out, otherwise I never give my birds heat.

She is in good spirits and tries to hobble around whenever she gets the chance. I gave her some oats today while I cleaned the coop to make up for my intrusion.

20211017_130344.jpg
20211017_130353.jpg
20211017_130357.jpg
20211017_130403.jpg
20211017_130701.jpg
20211017_130706.jpg
20211017_130711.jpg
20211017_130737.jpg
20211017_130744.jpg

Anyone have any thoughts? I tried to get some pictures of different angles today, but again, there was a lot of ointment still on the leg when I unwrapped it.

Some new pictures, it's not looking worse to me but I don't know. It's been four days since I posted this new development.
20211018_175124.jpg
20211018_175130.jpg
20211018_175141.jpg
20211018_175158.jpg
20211018_175329.jpg
20211018_175334.jpg
20211018_175341.jpg
20211018_175348.jpg

Also, she has a few pin feathers coming in on the healthy part of her leg, some are already growing inward. How do I prevent feather cysts with her leg bandaged like this?
There are a few I can see just under her skin I would normally pull out but I don't want to add to her problems.

Also, she has a few pin feathers coming in on the healthy part of her leg, some are already growing inward. How do I prevent feather cysts with her leg bandaged like this?
There are a few I can see just under her skin I would normally pull out but I don't want to add to her problems.
I don't know what to tell you about the overall condition, but I would not allow the pin feathers to continue to grow into the skin. I would just release the tips of them.

I would say that the leg is likely dying up to the point of where the new feather growth is coming in.
I would not cut more, I would wait to see if it will auto amputate.

Agreed that the removing the pin feathers is a good idea. You don't want them festering and turning into feather cysts.

I would say that the leg is likely dying up to the point of where the new feather growth is coming in.
I would not cut more, I would wait to see if it will auto amputate.

Agreed that the removing the pin feathers is a good idea. You don't want them festering and turning into feather cysts.
That's the plan. I am changing her wrap daily, cleaning her small coop, and she is on a 7 day course of Penicillin.
I'll remove the pin feathers tomorrow, but they will need to be lanced.

I would try to pluck what can be plucked, then see if those that are embedded can be worked up with a sterilized needle, like you would splinter. Tedious I'm sure, but if you are able to do that, I think it would be better than lancing.
Definitely, I'm hoping I can pull then out pretty easily.
I'll work on it tomorrow.
So just wondering, does it look to you like it will auto amputate? I'm waiting to see what happens, but I have absolutely no idea what auto amputation looks like.

Just my own $.02 worth of free advice- at this point I would leave it unwrapped- take care of the feather issues mentioned above- Spray the areas with Vetricyn hydrogel and let air/light in. Edited to add: And of course finish the course of antibiotics.

It looks like the bottom of the stump is going to die off to a certain point, but right now wrapping and keeping it wrapped might be doing more harm than good as most of the other issues are above the actual amputation-- not at the tip of the stump.

Back
Top Bottom