1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

urgent question about fertile eggs

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by chick-in-florida, Dec 8, 2011.

1. chick-in-florida

chick-in-florida Chillin' With My Peeps

i just lost my roo today but i've already refrigerated the 8 eggs his hens laid today. will the eggs the hens lay tomorrow be fertile eggs? i really wanted some of his chicks!

2. AccentOnHakes

AccentOnHakes Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 2, 2009
    Her eggs will be fertile with his eggs for about the next two weeks, assuming he last mated her yesterday.

3. GAchick

GAchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2009
    Pembroke GA
    Many people still have success with hatching refrigerated eggs also. Plus her eggs may be fertile up to 3-4 weeks.

4. chick-in-florida

chick-in-florida Chillin' With My Peeps

oh thank you! that's good to know!

5. deerman

deerman Rest in Peace 1949-2012

Aug 24, 2008
    Southern Ohio
    yes the eggs will be fertile for upto 3 weeks..PLUS SET THOSE 8 EGGS IN THE FRIG........i have hatched many that have been in the frig.

Just let them warm to room temp. before setting........GOOD LUCK

6. ladyomaha

ladyomaha Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 26, 2011
    Kansas
    That is Exactly What I was wondering, How long a hen is Fertile after she is nailed by the Rooster, We got rid of a Rooster cause he was Aggresive to one of my Silkie Roos, and not the Rooster we Kept aint Getting the Girls, so the only hope I have is the hens that got it before we got rid of the Other Rooster.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by