URGENT ROO WITH BROKE LEG

chickabator

Songster
12 Years
Nov 30, 2007
ky
my neighbor just called and he has a roo that broke his leg and he is wanting to know is there anyway that the leg can be saved or will the roo have to be culled? when you pick him up his leg dangles down. he said it is broke in the joint. He wants to try to save it for a brood rooster, Is there any hope?

there is someone here with a roo with one leg....i'll see if i can find out who it is and i will let you know

It might not be a bad idea to contact your local animal hospital. They would do a better job of taking care of it since they are professionals.

I think someone here attempted to amputate one of their bird's legs. I wouldn't recommend it personally; there's such a danger of infection and lots of other risks if one doesn't know what they're doing.

I have hen with one leg, she lost her leg as a chick. Bad break and infected at the joint. I took her to the vet and they were unable to save/splint the leg....too far gone (I got her at the farm store injured). They did amputate and she is almost a year old now. She does need alot of special care because her other remaining leg is somewhat deformed. I Have read on here that someone had an adult chicken that lost its leg and did fine as a one-legged and got around good on the remaining leg since it was formed and in good shape. I would NOT recommend amputating on your own, but instead take to vet. They cauterized and stitched my girl and she was also on pain meds and antibiotics afterward. If his roo has a break at the hip, they will probably take the whole leg and not leave a stump. Do a search on one-legged roos or chickens, I am sure someone on had one that got either attacked or something and lost its leg and did fine. Whatever needs to be done quick as infected will set in possibly, plus he is in pain.

if you cut the bone right above the fracture, clean it with alcohol/peroxide and then bandage it he should be well just keep him in a warm dry place after and clean whats left of the leg 4-5 times a day
i had a hen that got her whole leg torn off by a racoon she did fine but needed help running far distances

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom