Urgent rooster health issue. Please help.

JohnWayne23

In the Brooder
Apr 22, 2023
Hello. I'm new to post in BYC and love this website. I have an <then healthnissue with my rooster. He is a black australorp about 1 year old. I noticed about two days ago that he was acting a bit lethargic. Totally out of the norm for him. He's a great rooster and takes excellent care of his 6 hens. I didn't notice anything else out of the ordinary so I tried to be sure i fed them more veggies and some extra protein I'm the rorm of cheese. He seems to be eating well but seems a bit off balance. He almost obsessively ate the romaine lettuce stems and ignored the cheese. So I loaded the run with more lettuce. They eat all flock 20% protein pellets and I give oyster shell on the side for my girls. I only noticed a few minutes ago that he is covered with white stuff on his face and comb and on his black feathers. It almost resembles white mold. He looks awful today. He is very lethargic and as you can see, how eyes are closed. He will stand there and close his eyes like he's sleepy. I didn't notice the white spots yesterday. They sleep in their coop at night but have a large run 20' by 20' for 7 chickens. I started adding b12, Nutri drench, probiotics and electrolytes to their water 2 days ago.

I put fresh pine shavings in their coop about 3 or 4 days ago but I use the deep litter method. I live in the Southwest. It's very dry here so their coop isn't damp and it doesn't smell.

Can anyone advise me? I have these pictures and hope they're clear enough for a trained eye. I would really hate to lose this guy. He's a great rooster and his girls rely on him. His name is John Wayne.

I live in a very rural area and taking him to a vet is not an option. Our local vet doesn't treat chickens.

Does anyone have any idea what might be going on? I am worried sick.

Attachments

• 20230422_135354.jpg
    20230422_135354.jpg
    539.4 KB · Views: 11
  • 20230422_135343.jpg
    20230422_135343.jpg
    503.2 KB · Views: 3
The powdery white on the comb brings to mind favus, a fungus. You may use miconazole vaginal yeast cream on it.

The lethargy is troubling and may point to a systemic fungal infection. You need to inspect inside his mouth to see if the white stuff is in his throat, as well. Look at his vent. Is it red and swollen with a white chalky discharge? If you see that, it means he has it inside and a antifungal is needed to treat it.

You will likely need to purchase this https://www.valleyvet.com/ct_detail.html?pgguid=5DFB4DDB-9220-4291-BABC-59B91BB257C8 No prescription needed but it may take several days to get it shipped.

Back
Top Bottom