Urgent! Rooster tearing up my hens

Momma_Z

Chirping
Sep 7, 2020
Milton, Florida
This is a small back yard flock, consisting of four polish hens, two mutt hens, and a mutt rooster. The rooster has torn up nearly each hen. The golden polishes are not even a year old. I’m worried that they won’t make it. Please help me. Any advice would be needed. I think we’re going to get rid of him but please send any think I can give them. Also! I’ve put like little aprons on them for the rest of the day, I’ve separated the flock.

Attachments

• 4C288876-FF30-4643-A62B-F70494EEDA02.jpeg
    4C288876-FF30-4643-A62B-F70494EEDA02.jpeg
    489.5 KB · Views: 41
  • CAB86116-D97E-499D-B7B1-65693A57CCD4.jpeg
    CAB86116-D97E-499D-B7B1-65693A57CCD4.jpeg
    476.2 KB · Views: 12
Separate the rooster (how old is he?). Young cockerels in particular can be very rough on hens, some will get better with age, some will not. 6 hens for a rooster is likely not enough and will result in over mating and beat up hens. Most recommendations are for about 10 hens per rooster, that is just a recommendation and the actual number depends very much on the birds and rooster in question. Some roo's may be ok with less hens, some with a bit more, there isn't a magic number, but beat up hens means a rough rooster or not enough hens. Sometimes adding more space can help, objects they can hide behind (but not get cornered), outside perches they can get up and away on, gives the hens more opportunity to get away from him. If you don't plan on hatching eggs, then you don't need to keep a rooster if you don't want one.

Pull the roo. Some roos have manners, some don't, and some are just brutal. No need to risk your hens.

If he has to stay, add more hiding places or space so hens have ways to escape. Or possibly add a few more hens so he spreads it out - although I wouldn't really want to put more hens through that.

I feel your pain. Finding a rooster who will do his job, not hurt his girls, be decent to humans, etc is difficult.

For what it's worth, polish are smaller and sometimes get picked on if they're the only ones with crests. So they may be easy targets if they're smaller/standing out.

This is a small back yard flock, consisting of four polish hens, two mutt hens, and a mutt rooster. The rooster has torn up nearly each hen. The golden polishes are not even a year old. I’m worried that they won’t make it. Please help me. Any advice would be needed. I think we’re going to get rid of him but please send any think I can give them. Also! I’ve put like little aprons on them for the rest of the day, I’ve separated the flock.
I woud separate

Back
Top Bottom