URGENT: Severe Chicken Injuries

iheartchicks00

In the Brooder
May 14, 2015

My aunts chicken was picked on, so she gave her to me. My mom put her in the coop and I came back to this... She's been isolated give water with vitamins/electrolytes, but I have t been able to asses her injuries.... I'm hoping she makes it through the night so I can start treatment.... Any ideas for this? She also has a bowel issue I just noticed, but didn't take a picture of cause it's really dark out.... really need help and advice ASAP! Thanks...

If her problems are just physical injuries, you would be surprised how resilient chickens can be! One of our hens was attacked by a fox and survived. I thought I'd have to put her to sleep, but I decided to give her the night and see how she was the next day. She had a horrible cut where her skin was torn down to the muscle and ended at her cloaca. I trimmed the feathers away from the area and washed it out with saline and then 1 part hydrogen peroxide to 1 part filtered water. Then I put colloidal silver on it, which most people don't have, but I think neosporum would be a good alternative. Kept her in a large crate in the sunroom to heal. Put probiotics and electrolytes in her water. Also gave her yogurt. Just wanted as much good bacteria as possible.
I can't tell if her bum is messy because of a disease or from getting picked on? Probiotics and electrolytes are helpful either way. I got mine at the local feed store or if you have a Tractor Supply Company they carry them for chickens. You simply mix in her water. You can also use raw unfiltered apple cider vinegar, 1 tablespoon to one gallon of water. I don't use that at the same time as the probiotics/electrolytes though.
I add kelp meal to the chicken feed to help them get vitamins and minerals for overall health. Makes healthier eggs too! I've always fed organic feed and that seems to help prevent diseases. One reason is that the traces of synthetic chemicals in conventional feed work against the good bacteria in a chicken's system. Just a personal preference.
Search around this site for diseases and treatments if you believe she has something going on.
Is she eating and drinking and active? Not eating and inactive are definitely flags to try things to help asap.
I hope that she gets better soon! Very kind of you to take her in!
1f49b.png
1f413.png
1f49b.png

Also- the hen I was saying was horribly injured by a fox- she's still with us and is a happy girl enjoying life. The cut she had down to the muscle was around 4 inches long. We really weren't sure what to do. When it's a condition that is irreversible and they don't eat and drink, that's their way of showing what they're going through is too much. My personal opinion is that if an animal is eating and drinking, it has a desire to live.

This morning she was active and eating some, she wasn't always my bird so she's pretty nervous around me, but she's getting better... idk what's going on with her rear but I was thinking of giving her a "bath" to get rid of the build up? I have probiotics and electrolytes in her water, and her neck wound looks better, but I'm thinking about cleaning it out to avoid infection? Are those good ideas?

This morning she was active and eating some, she wasn't always my bird so she's pretty nervous around me, but she's getting better... idk what's going on with her rear but I was thinking of giving her a "bath" to get rid of the build up? I have probiotics and electrolytes in her water, and her neck wound looks better, but I'm thinking about cleaning it out to avoid infection? Are those good ideas?
Cleaning out the wound would be a good idea. It looks like it has pus in it. Flush with saline, salt water, diluted betadine or soapy water, try to remove all the pus that you see - you may need to gently scrub it with a wash cloth to get to out. After you get it cleaned out, apply some triple antibiotic ointment or vetericyn to the wound.

Giving her a good soaking in warm soapy water (dish liquid works well) to clean the bum up, if she has a lot of stuck stubborn poo on there, you can carefully trim the poop out of the feathers (this is usually easier to see when the feathers are wet). Hopefully she just have a really poopy bum, but look at the tissues surround the vent/bum when you get her cleaned up - look for any cuts/picking wounds or discharge. You can also treat any cuts/wounds with triple antibiotic ointment/vetericyn.

Keep her separated/quarantined so you can monitor her progress and health. Offering her electrolytes for a couple of days or adding some vitamins to her water would be a good idea.

Updated photos once you clean her up will be a bonus
smile.png

Let us know how she is doing.

Back
Top Bottom