URGENT sick duck

Definitely a prolapse. I agree with @Miss Lydia, we do need a better picture. Depending on the damage, part of it may need to be amputated off. I haven't done it before, but @casportpony knows about cutting off part of the penis if needed.

For treating a prolapse, you will want to coat the penis in hydrocortisone ointment. Since it has been damaged I would also put bacitracin on it as well. If you can't get hydrocortisone ointment, but only cream, you can put it on first and cover it with bacitracin. The reason I recommend ointment over cream is it adheres to the tissue better and meaning it will get more of the steroid in its system. The hydrocortisone you will want to do 3-4 times a day to help reduce inflammation. Reducing the inflammation helps reverse the prolapse.

After coating it, you can gently push it back in. You may want to wait to see if you need to do any amputation. If it stays in you can just insert the hydrocortisone up his vent with a finger. I would continue this until he has no issues with the prolapse. When he defecates, that is going to be when it pops back out.

You will want to keep him separated until the issue resolves itself because the other ducks could aggravate it. With females, it usually takes about a month to heal. My drake who had a minor issue similar to this, it took him about 2-3 weeks before he go out with the flock. It would still pop out when he defecated, but only for a second before popping back in.

Depending how bad the boy part is
If just dirty and not infected then what I did was get Medican from the vet for pain and swelling. He took this for almost a week
I used triple antibiotic ointment without pain meds in it. I also got lube from the vet
I would put the lube around the vent and ointment on the sore area. This was done several times a day as well as a few Epson salt soaks
My boy stopped eating for 3 days from the discomfort but did stay hydrated so I added extra vitamins to his water
That’s when the vet agreed to give Medican abd after 2 days of it he was eating again
My guy had his bit as it hangs down after a mate and one of them got it
It’s like a dangling worm to other ducks
But his only stayed out about an inch or so bit stayed out constant for a good week
I kept him separated from the others but where he could see them at all times. I also kept him with a kid pool so I could clean it daily and that way he had fresh water to keep it clean
Now if it’s bad then I agree some may need ti be cut off
Luckily I didn’t have to do this as the vet said it wasn’t that bad.

We got it back in last night but it was back out this morning and its back out now again. Is there a trick to get it to stay in??

My vet did offer to stitch it up
I opted not to as I was able to keep him separate and he was getting it to go in more
But he was at a risk as he had not been eating for days and they don’t like to do surgery when that happens as the risk gets bigger
Are you still keeping him separated at all times ? What treatments have you been doing to help it ?

We got it back in last night but it was back out this morning and its back out now again. Is there a trick to get it to stay in??
No this is the long haul of the process. It is going to take several weeks. Before this will stop occurring. You will need to keep reinserting it and treating with hydrocortisone each time. Again hydrocortisone 3-4 times a day. This will unfortunately not cure itself overnight and will likely come out each time he defecates until the swelling starts to go down.

You can give him an anti-inflammatory drug too to help. I use ibuprofen. Infant Motrin - 5-10 mg/kg 2-3 times a day. Or .1ml per lb. Make sure you do not use grape flavor, there is suppose to be something toxic I the grape flavoring. Others may be able to tell you other drugs can use.

Well i noticed for sure todsy that part of it is dead. Is this somthing i have to cut off or will it fall off on its own? If i did cut it off how would i do thst without cause crazy pain?

Back
Top Bottom