Urgent. Tiny chick cold still alive. Mum doesn't want it.

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by amberrenee, May 26, 2017.

1. amberrenee

amberrenee Out Of The Brooder

May 12, 2016
    Indianapolis
    230A2247-EB55-40F6-9F79-7005768CB6E4.jpg HELP!!! Found this tiny chick in the nest bedding. Put it under mom. She pushed it away. It's cold. How can I save it? It's peeping. It's egg was like half the size of the other silkie eggs!

2. ECMurray

ECMurray Out Of The Brooder

Do you have a light to put it under??? Even just a lamp? You could use your body heat. That's all I can think of! Hope it lives!

Nannette114 likes this.
  3. Nannette114

Nannette114 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 23, 2016
    Hampshire, UK
    Yep I agree. For the very short term cup your hands and warm it gently like that.
    Ideally for the medium term you need some kind of box with a 100watt light bulb, some chick crumbs and water (in a dish with stones to stop it falling in and drowning). Ideal temperature is around 95f for the first couple of weeks so a thermometer would also be great.
    Hope this helps! Good luck and let us know how it goes!

4. Nannette114

Jun 23, 2016
    Hampshire, UK
    Oh and for bedding some ripped up newspaper will do for now. Not smooth or it can slip and damage its legs.
    Good luck!

5. Burbs03

Burbs03 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 8, 2017
    if you don't have a lamp you could put it in the warmest place in your house in a card board box near a heater (just make sure it is warm enough, about 90 degrees) while you get a heat lamp (a heat lamp will be good to have in the future in case this happens again). if you don't have a warm place in your house you could sneak it in to the store with you while you get the heating lamp so it doesn't freeze.

6. amberrenee

May 12, 2016
    Indianapolis
    Thank you! He's now in a box with the lamp. I had chicks last year when I got my first batch. I'm hoping for it!!! I've also been cupping it in my hands since I found it. This is my first broody hen and my first egg hatching experience.

Nannette114 likes this.
  7. amberrenee

May 12, 2016
    Indianapolis
    When should it need food? It's still laying down unable to get up. Eyes closed. I think it hatched early today. If it perks up I think the hen will accept it.

8. amberrenee

May 12, 2016
    Indianapolis
    I'm asking about food and water because I know it's too tired to move and the yolk sac absorb?

9. Nannette114

Jun 23, 2016
    Hampshire, UK
    Well done. It sounds like you've got a good setup for it now. Keep it warm, with access to food and water, and we'll all keep everything crossed for you!:fl

10. TheKindaFarmGal

TheKindaFarmGal Overrun With Chickens

May 4, 2016
    Somewhere in the Universe
    I have food and water available from the very beginning. Make sure the chick knows where it is - I like to dip the beak in.

Also, put some electrolytes in the water. Sav-a-chick would be good too. Something to help it perk up.

Nannette114 likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by