URGENT...Transporting a grown fully feathered Peacock

I would firmly wrap the bird in a towl and then duct tape the towel so that the bird cant get out of it. I have seen at many swap where they have used large gauze to wrap the tail together so at not to break any tail feathers. Also you might want to get a childs sock and cut a small hole in the end so you can place this over the head but let the beak come out so it can breath easily. That should help calm him down more. Jenn

If you could borrow a pick-up truck with a cover, I think that could also work well. Good luck with this! Let us know what you decide to do and how it works out for you, OK?

I think the TShirt idea is an excellent one. The duct tape plan, worries me a bit.
I have transported a pair of adult peafowl, we used a large dog cage and our pickup truck. The feathers did seem a bit ruffled, but straightened out as soon as they were free.
Good luck!

If you dont have a large dog cage (remember always head in , head out). The use the T-shirt idea, you must imbolize the legs , so bands or tape. Also you want to cover the eyes, the dark calms the bird. If you dont cover the eyes and you have to imobilize the bird it could go into shock.

When I bought my pair the guy I bought them from took a paper feed sack and tore a corner off. He caught the birds and put them in the sack with their heads out the hole. He then duct taped the end near their feet snugly. No tape on the actual bird, just the sack. They were very calm and only lost a few feathers, I think due to stress from being caught.

Edited to say each bird had its own sack. Kinda sounds like only one sack above.

Last edited:
Well, I went and got the Peacock late yesterday morning. It was in a trap since FRIDAY...in the sun and with little to eat...I think some kind of grain. The feathers were a mess rubbing on the wire trap for 3 days. Unfortunately, I had to use my dog kennel (large, but not large enough) to transport him. I am imagining that he is about 3 years old based on his tail which is about 4' long. He is a beautiful India Blue.

I rushed him home and quickly built him a pen (16X16 and 8' high) with an area that is protected from 2 sides. I put aviary netting across the top and down the sides 2'. The bottom 6' is 2X4 welded wire. I put in a perch in for him and food and water. That should hold him or the night. That took me until 11PM. That is all I could do by myself.

I felt badly that I couldn't build him a proper coop for the night, but I just couldn't. I didn't have the materials or the time. I figured that this was at least much better than the trap that he had spent so much time in or the kennel that he spent in while I was building the pen (6 hours).

Since he was roaming free and thus basically wild, I am wondering if I need to do anything like worm him and check for any other diseases.

Also, I have chickens and I am wondering if they have a vaccine for coccidiosis and I was also wondering about things such as Blackhead Disease and how to prevent it. I will also have a few turkeys, Guineas and Geese.

He is my little exotic..I think I will name him Charlie. It was a nick name of my mom's who died in 2005 and who was going to buy property with me to have a small farm. Well, my place is much smaller than we had been looking at, but it was all I could afford and it is zoned for farm animals and is a bit more rural than allot of properties closer to the center of the city I live near. I will be able to grow my own food and be much more self-sufficient than I ever was before and that was a dream of both my mother and me.

I am sure I will post more on this since I didn't expect to have an adult Peacock so soon, but I would really appreciate any help and advise on getting him settled in and things to check for since he was "in the wild" for so long.

Thank you all for your help and advise in moving him.

Best wishes to you,

kiaya611,

((Hugs)))...good job!
smile.png

event.png

I think Charlie is a wonderful name for him. He's very lucky to have someone like you to care for him. I'm sure he's feeling much better and less stressed already.

coccidiosis - This comes from protoza found in the earth. I wouldnt worry about it. However, I would worry about everything else. Keep the pea separate from your chickens for a least 30 days.

Worming - some do, some dont, up to you, I personally dont worm, I would however if I believed a bird of mine was losing weight or being adversley affected becuase of a severe intestinal worm problem.

Looking forward to some pictures.

I'm getting my wallet out....I had to share these pics of Charlie and his pen
smile.png

charlie_day1_sm.jpg

CHARLIE

peacockpen_sm.jpg

CHARLIE'S PEN (The one that took 6 hours to make)

Enjoy!!!

Back
Top Bottom