URGENT!!!!

Wolflady2223

In the Brooder
6 Years
Dec 4, 2013
I have 7 hens that are about a year old, maybe just over. Yesterday I noticed one that coughed once or twice while I was out collecting eggs but didn't think anything of it. Today there are at least 4 that are coughing, one that has wheezing/rattling sound and I Think I've seen them sneeze once or twice?? One in particular is holding her head out to breathe better, They are still eating but I guess are a little less energetic today than normal. Have been reading about gapeworm and tried to cotton swab one's throat but didn't see much, but also didn't want to put it way far down in case of injury. Do you think this is a respiratory issue? Gapeworm? It's really cold here in the middle of winter so....who know? I need to run out and get medication ASAP i just don't know what my best option is...

Please help :( I hate my girls being sick!

It sounds like they've picked up some respiratory disease. Since you are hearing rattling/wheezing/coughing it would be a good idea to start them on a good antibiotic like Tylan 50. This could be viral or it could be bacterial, the issue is that no matter what it's origin is the likelihood of pneumonia and secondary bacterial infections is always high any time birds get a respiratory disease. The antibiotic's will prevent that so they can recover. If any of them dies you might want to get a necropsy done so you know exactly what you are dealing with and how best to manage it. Extra warmth, especially at night, is always needed as well when they are sick.

All TS had was Tylan 200...after some reading on here I gave them each 1/2 a cc orally. One of my hens is very bad...I feel horrible! I doubt she will survive the night. It has been so sudden! I pre-treated all of my hens, even the ones that weren't sick so hopefully it won't spread. I am going to give them electrolytes in water tonight as well. I wonder if there's anything else to be done..... :( I am afraid I'll go out tomorrow and they'll be gone if this doesn't help...

All TS had was Tylan 200...after some reading on here I gave them each 1/2 a cc orally. One of my hens is very bad...I feel horrible! I doubt she will survive the night. It has been so sudden! I pre-treated all of my hens, even the ones that weren't sick so hopefully it won't spread. I am going to give them electrolytes in water tonight as well. I wonder if there's anything else to be done..... :( I am afraid I'll go out tomorrow and they'll be gone if this doesn't help...

Give the tylan a chance to do its job. However IF it's a viral disease, tylan and other antibiotics will be ineffective.

Having the same problem, stinky winter. My tractor only had tylan injectable????????? picked up Manna Pro aureomycin 4G medicated crumbes, however says not to give to hens whose eggs are consumed by humans......

Update:

Rosie made it through the night, although still is pretty sick. She seems like she has a little more energy today. I moved the coop and cleaned it thoroughly yesterday to air it out for the girls. They are now all getting a dose of the tylan and electrolyte/apple cider vinegar in their water. They're free-ranging as well today so they get moving and some fresh air. Keep your fingers crossed, thanks for the replies!

Having the same problem, stinky winter. My tractor only had tylan injectable????????? picked up Manna Pro aureomycin 4G medicated crumbes, however says not to give to hens whose eggs are consumed by humans......

I don't think medicated crumbles will have a sufficient dose of the antibiotic anyway to treat any illness. It's more of a preventative dose. Tylan is an injectable and works best that way but, as Woldlady mentioned, it can be given orally if you have a needle phobia like I do!

No needle phobia but many chickens, and thinking to treat all of them. was wondering how much to put in water per gallon?????

UPDATE: I gave tylan injectable to effected two chickens, with both 90% better after 24 hrs. Got tylan water soluble in mail today and will treat all of them... thank you to all that helped me!!!!

Back
Top Bottom