urget question. did something stupid

Glenmar

Songster
9 Years
Jan 17, 2011
VIRGINIA
Ok. We processed 4 birds the other day. I was resting them in a cooler with lots of ice and some water overnight.
I just found out that we forgot to gut one chicken. He was skinned but not gutted.
he.gif
The bird was very cold and
somewhat frozen. Would it be OK to do it now??? Are the other chickens OK to eat.

thanks

Weve hung pheasent for days with the guts intact and they were fine. Pheasent is just a wild chicken so I would think it will be fine just give it a good clean out.

Oesdog.
lol.png
- Cook it really well!!!!!!!

Last edited:
Yep....many's the time we've shot deer, tracked them half the night, didn't find them , found them the next day and finally got to dress out the darn thing.....meat was fine. Better than fine.

If he is in the freezer now, can I wait until I am ready to cook him to thaw and clean, or should I do it now?

Quote:
I concur with that last piece of advice - I'd put him first on the list to come out of the freezer, just to resolve the guts situation sooner rather than later. Having said that, I totally agree with the previous posters who said there should be nothing wrong with the bird.

This last spring I was processing turkeys, and had to stop and go rescue my friend when her car broke down - just finished plucking the turkey I was working on and put it guts and all on ice while I ran and saved her...took a couple hours, but it was on ice the whole time...came back and finished up and it was just fine. You couldn't tell the one that sat on ice all afternoon guts in from the ones that had immediate gut removal, I'd say do like everyone says and make it first to the dinner table and you should be fine. That way you don't forget which one it is too!

Back
Top Bottom