Urghh need help

KinnaChickie

Songster
Jul 29, 2018
UP NORTHIN BAMA!!!
So I have one polish rooster who wants to mount every blessed hen in the yard but 3 and guess what...they are freakin polish hens. Is this normal for polish to "mess" with everything but their own or is it they just haven't tried.

So I have one polish rooster who wants to mount every blessed hen in the yard but 3 and guess what...they are freakin polish hens. Is this normal for polish to "mess" with everything but their own or is it they just haven't tried.
I'm not sure whats normal or what isn't but was just wondering if you could sequester the Polish chickens together away from the other hens so that the roo might direct his drive toward the right ladies?

How old are these birds?
Have they always lived together?

I'm not sure whats normal or what isn't but was just wondering if you could sequester the Polish chickens together away from the other hens so that the roo might direct his drive toward the right ladies?
I have tried...and when together they refuse...but once out they head to the big hens...guess they prefer the "bbw" of hens...lmbo

The polish are only 6 months. They all lived together since 3 days old. The bigger hens are 1 yr to 2 yrs. They also try the other hens that are 6 months. It's just crazy
Not really crazy....are the polish pullets laying yet?
A 'good' cock/erel won't mount a sexually immature(not laying) pullet.
Most young cockerels will try to mount anything they can, including inanimate objects.
Are your older birds submitting to the cockerel?

FYI.....semantics, maybe, but can be important communication terms when discussing chicken behavior.
Female chickens are called pullets until one year of age, then they are called hens.
Male chickens are called cockerels until one year of age, then they are called cocks(or cockbirds or roosters).
Age in weeks or months is always a good thing to note

Last edited:
Not really crazy....are the polish pullets laying yet?
A 'good' cock/erel won't mount a sexually immature(not laying) pullet.
Most young cockerels will try to mount anything they can, including inanimate objects.
Are your older birds submitting to the cockerel?

FYI.....semantics, maybe, but can be important communication terms when discussing chicken behavior.
Female chickens are called pullets until one year of age, then they are called hens.
Male chickens are called cockerels until one year of age, then they are called cocks(or cockbirds or roosters).
Age in weeks or months is always a good thing to note
My apologies for incorrect terms. My cockerels are 6 months. The pullets are as well. Since it's winter I'm sure they won't lay until spring. But no the polish pullets aren't laying. The cockerels mount the hens who are or have laid. Some are moulting right now. And no they aren't submitting. Only polish cockerels are doing it. My Brahma and my other cockerel(which is a breed I'm unsure of)aren't doing it. So ehhh I don't know

Back
Top Bottom