Urp... fertile egg?

eggsulli

Hatching
8 Years
Jan 12, 2012
I have approx 45 chickens, 2 of which are roosters. I collect eggs daily, I sift through the nest litter to make sure there aren't any hidden eggs. One of my customers told me today that they cracked an egg a couple days ago and found a developing chick... I'm perplexed. How would that happen, I realize it takes about 21 days for an egg to hatch once a hen start setting... what did I miss? Thank you

Perhaps they meant they had a blood spot in their egg and thought it was a developing chick? Blod spots do happen and can happen in a non fertile egg as well as fertile ones. You need to find out how *developed* the chick was. Usually it is at least 3 days until you see even veins and 7 days before anything resembling a vague chick.

Good points, thanks for taking time to explain that. I'll try to get some information tomorrow. For giggles I made a home made candler tonight with my kids. It was interesting to look at the eggs, but unless there was a Sasquatch growing I'm not so sure I"d have seen anything :).

Back
Top Bottom