US Crele and White Sport Legbar Breeders - Alternative Legbar Group, for those not breeding to the P

I honestly don't know. There's a lot of white in the back end fluff. He might fade out. Most of mine did even after I got them. Derpy just went from mostly black to multi colored. I can't wait to see what yours does but I predict most of a charcoal dusky version of a standard maybe? What do the parents look like? If you see the other pics I have later all the birds are siblings with two moms only. It's insane how different they all are.

here are Brother and Run. I ran an open pen this year. There are about 25 hens out there.
here is that dark cockerel and his hatch mates, all a different color.

I have a white sport male cockerel from a seller locally who keeps hatching whites out of his regular pair. He says they are 3rd generation descent from Greenfire birds. I wanted to know if anyone else was breeding for whites only as I need some girls for this boy. I also have a very very very dark male from the same hatch that has a black tail and red saddle and black head and crest with gold neck. Crazy genetics here.
My understanding is that the whites wont breed whites really even if bred together. (Though you might get a higher percentage of white sports than normal) I think its a barring gene mutation that occurs periodically. At any rate good luck with them.

think this guy could possibly get that dark? That pair is amazing! Black and white brothers.. Who would guess!
From my view, I don't think this guy will look any different than a normal CL male. This is based on the light underparts that are so fluffly and cream -- and the strength and size of the headspot... I thik the above chick will grow to be a normal looking male with crisp definite barring.

Because the male carries two barring genes -- he will grow up lighter-looking than the female. -- Can't wait to see his progress as he grows.

ETA - this chick
LL

from some time ago for me -- had the greatest contrast -- white and 'black' -- and Groucho Marx eye brows -- grew to be a very extremely dark pullet, and didn't live to old age for some reason...

With my recent black-looking chick -- I'm now reviewing a lot of my hatches over the years -- that now seem to indicate that the dark genetics were lurking there all along. LOL
LL

This little hen hatched out 4 - but sadly the day after this shot (hatch day) a raccoon broke into their coop and killed and ate the chicks and the mother....

I had expected all the chicks to grow up to look like normal CLs.

Last edited:
Here is Derpy the dark one

Gandalf the White. They are brothers and I got them after they were fledged so I never saw their downs. The parents were both normal pale legbars though confined to a breeding pen. Mom had a bit of salmon to her chest I think but it never occurred to me to take a photo. Dad was pale and creamy like he ought to be. There were a lot of whites and some of the others were also looking heavily gold ish in hue. Yet others looked much closer to standard.
[
Of course I like Derp -- there is a lot of red on his back - and when red is on back and wings it is testosterone at work IMO -- my male CLs get it when they are maturing and their combs redden...and then it seems to somehow disappear or condense on the shoulder as they grow to maturity.

So how old is Derp. ?? -- And that is one heck of a crest -- particularly surprising as well to me because the cresting gene tends to be expressed in a smaller way with different (more pointy like the neck hackles in males) feathering. Is Derpy crowing?

Last edited:
I have a white sport male cockerel from a seller locally who keeps hatching whites out of his regular pair. He says they are 3rd generation descent from Greenfire birds. I wanted to know if anyone else was breeding for whites only as I need some girls for this boy. I also have a very very very dark male from the same hatch that has a black tail and red saddle and black head and crest with gold neck. Crazy genetics here.

I am hoping to next year if I can get enough White sports this year.

I had them coming once every 25 hatches, then I tried to isolate the pair that gave me them ( I have 7 hens so 1 in 25 is about 25% of one mating). I think I split my pair up, I have now repaired them to see if I can isolate it. I have hatched out 5 this year but, because Murphy of Murphy's law fame hates me, I have only 2 left. I hope one of each sex. If they start laying this summer, I will hatch them about 2 weeks after the pullet lays eggs, (desperation for the whites) I love them, they are beautiful birds!

My understanding is that the whites wont breed whites really even if bred together. (Though you might get a higher percentage of white sports than normal) I think its a barring gene mutation that occurs periodically. At any rate good luck with them.

I respectfully disagree with you on this, They will breed true if it is a true white sport from CLB parents and not a hybrid.

Last edited:
So how old is Derp. ?? -- And that is one heck of a crest -- particularly surprising as well to me because the cresting gene tends to be expressed in a smaller way with different (more pointy like the neck hackles in males) feathering.    Is Derpy crowing?

This photo is dated March 7th 2016 which is the day I got them. As you can see their combs hadn't grown much yet and Derpy's colors hadn't come in yet. I can't recall the birthday but I want to say it was sometime in January. Derpy isn't crowing yet but he and Gandalf both are getting froggy and rearing up at other juvenile males in the yard. We do have a full sized rooster who currently runs the yard they flock in so that may keep them in line a bit. I'm building a separate area for them to be moved into this weekend.

My research shows me that Derpy and some of his sisters are basically showing the coloring of their Brown Legbar genetics. If you look at photos of Brown Legbars you will see what I mean. I was wondering why some of his sisters had dark neck and head feathers with bright gold (pencilling?) underneath.

I respectfully disagree with you on this, They will breed true if it is a true white sport from CLB parents and not a hybrid.

These are definitely CLB parents. I saw them with my own eyes and they are in an isolated cage. The owner has a slew of repeated White Sport hatchings. I'm tempted to go buy some more of his whites. He originally didn't plan to sell any and I had to beg to get the male I have. But now he is advertising them so I guess he changed his mind. Maybe I'll ask if he is selling females or not.

Last edited:
Just commenting based on what Ive read. For CLB it may be true but everything Ive read says that the whites wont breed completely true. Im thinking this because the male will have unexpressed barring genes as well as the "mutated" expressed one causing the white sport. I originally read about white sports appearing in barred rock breeding programs those are not hybrid birds. Not saying that you shouldn't expect a high percentage of white sports but the genetic lottery might be difficult to predict because of the nature of how the white sport appears. Its obviously genetics but its called a sport for a reason. The higher percentage of them you have been seeing does seem to indicate that there should be some method to at least increase the expected percentage.

I hope I am wrong for your sake.

Back
Top Bottom