US sued over Navy sonar tests in whale waters..

Eat more whale?
idunno.gif

Just kidding... jeez

I would tend to think there is a reason for the Navy to
desire to test their sonar. Perhaps to make a better system.
Perhaps something as simple as proctecting US waters.

Isn't it pretty foolish to allow the United States Navy the ability
to operate in our own waters?

I guess whales are more important than a county.

Spook

Spook

Yep... i hear ya.. :)
I mean i do feel for the whales, anyone should,.. but uh,... yeah, i'd say the Navy is doing what it NEEDS to do??

I'm ok, just been busy at work. Feel tired, slow, in pain and old. I logged on the other night, saw a comment from you on my profile, went to answer it and... poof... it was gone. :idunno

I think this new BYC is a bit over my head.

Wonder why it was gone?? :(
Anyways, i was just checking in on you.. :hugs

Quote:

Spook

I don't think that whale preservation and the protecting the country are mutually exclusive concepts. There are probably alternatives or precautions that could reduce harm to marine life. By the way for any endangered whale a loss is very significant because of long gestational periods, long time to reach reproductive maturity and the damage (reproductive and to other body systems) caused by the consumption of plankton and fish contaminated with toxins. It very serious, and not just an overreaction on the part of "tree huggers". There are laws protecting endangered whales, too - laws we expect other countries to respect those laws when fishing/using our exclusive economic zone (up to 300 or so miles offshore). These laws are there because many whales are almost gone.

Whales might be more important than a "county", by the way! LOL (Just being silly here, don't get all crazy. ;) )

Last edited:
Alright, you all knew I'd fall on the side of the wildlife. I don't see any reason for them to not work around the wildlife. Those ecosystems are incredibly important, and the sonar can and will interfere with species that can't afford even one loss. Beaked Whales are particularly sensitive to this kind of sonar, and would be affected. There's no reason we can't defend our country without disrupting vital feeding, calving, and migration areas. This video can't explain it any better.

Last edited:
If I was an enemy sub, I'd just get near a pod of whales, knowing the US wouldn't be allowed to look for me there. I could go wherever the whales went. If the US used their sonar to look for me, I'd then be able to follow the whales right to your doorstep, as they beached themselves. Ahh tactics.

It *is* what I would do, were I an enemy of the US and the US was not allowed to use or test sonar when whales were around. Or I'd have several subs transmit whale sounds and drive right to the harbor I wish to destroy/gas/bomb/invade.

Back
Top Bottom