USDA egg washing protocols in English prefer organic methods

Lopi1234

In the Brooder
7 Years
Nov 8, 2012
Well, after reading and searching all day, I am as clear as mud on this topic. I am a very small producer. I would love to know what I am required to do according to organic methods for preparing eggs for selling at a local market. My head hurts. I am no further at days end as when I started this search at 10 am. Thank you in advance....and I hope this is in the right place to post this....

What state are you in? Most states have their own organic programs also. With the USDA websites mostly shut down you may never find out what they want.

I live in New Jersey. I have been on the site for New Jersey, but am more confused since reading it. I am well under 3,000 birds. I am definitely a very small producer. I am just frustrated and my head hurts from reading myself in circles.

Last edited:
http://www.nj.gov/agriculture/divisions/md/pdf/eggproductionguidance.pdf Think we found it.

"If materials are used to wash or handle organic eggs, all of the material’s ingredients must be provided for in the National List, §205.605. This precludes many typesof commercial soaps and detergents. If using materials to
wash or handle eggs, ensure you have thoroughly vetted the allowance of these materials in order to maintain
organic integrity. "

And The List of allowed chemicals......................
http://www.gpo.gov/fdsys/pkg/CFR-2012-title7-vol3/pdf/CFR-2012-title7-vol3-sec205-605.pdf

Ok so I can use blueberry juice and Turkish bay leaves... Great! Hope that doesnt do anything to change the flavor...thanks for the help, but I read through the approved list as well. This is exactly why I am frustrated. It is clear as mud. I guess I will call and track somebody down. I fail to see anything on there about what to clean eggs with. At this point I need someone to spell it out for me. I appreciate your help and please don't take my frustration as not being gratious for your efforts. Thank you.

Back
Top Bottom