Use of chickens in tilapia fish farming

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by ninjapoodles, Aug 3, 2008.

1. ninjapoodles

ninjapoodles Sees What You Did There

May 24, 2008
    Central Arkansas
    Last edited: Aug 3, 2008
  2. WriterofWords

WriterofWords Has Fainting Chickens

Dec 25, 2007
    Chaparral, New Mexico
    Well that was very interesting, never heard of anything like it before. I don't think the chickens dangling over the fish felt very secure though.

3. ninjapoodles

ninjapoodles Sees What You Did There

May 24, 2008
    Central Arkansas
    I know! I was kind of upset about it, until I read that (if I understood correctly) he has a good-size laying flock, and "rotates" the hens so that each one only has a short stint of fish-feeding duty (hee--I said "duty") at a time.

4. Aneesa's Muse

Aneesa's Muse Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 8, 2008
    SF Bay Area
    I'm not sure I'll ever eat Tilapia again.. [​IMG]

5. PotterWatch

PotterWatch My Patronus is a Chicken

Apr 22, 2008
    Virginia
    I haven't eaten it since I saw them on Dirty Jobs about a year ago (not that I ate a lot of it before that).

6. onthespot

onthespot Deluxe Dozens

Mar 29, 2008
    Riverside/Norco, CA
    I would think this could be much more easily accomplished by putting collection boards under the roosting areas of the birds and just scraping up as much as you need when you need it.

7. d.k

d.k red-headed stepchild

* Pretty interesting. Also satisfies a chicken's seemingly untameable desire to poo in water. . . In fact, I'm kinda surprised the birds aren't fighting over available job slots!!

Last edited: Aug 3, 2008
  8. Rosalind

Rosalind Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2007
    I realize that shrimps and lobsters and catfish and other things I voluntarily eat do in fact eat poop and all sorts of horrid things. But somehow this just does not sound sanitary to me.

I am thinking of setting up an aquaponics system for tilapia and freshwater shrimp using my barn roof runoff, a cistern, a reed bed and a big recirculating pump, but I think the tilapia are going to be fed grass clippings, mosquito larvae and weeds, just for hygiene purposes, yanno?

Besides, most of our chicken poo is thoroughly composted before being applied to the veggie garden...It's not fresh or anything.

9. PurpleChicken

PurpleChicken Tolerated.....Mostly

Apr 6, 2007
    Iceland
    Nice find.

The harmful elements of chicken poop should be eliminated just by falling in the
    water.

This is a project that has been on my "Would Love TO-DO" list for a while.

10. d.k

d.k red-headed stepchild

* Hmmm-Let's see: Rabbits around/over chickens; chickens around/over tilapia. What goes around the rabbits and under the tilapia?? This is fun!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by