1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Use of left over 22% meat feed

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by 2oldnow, May 9, 2016.

1. 2oldnow

2oldnow Out Of The Brooder

Mar 16, 2016
    I have about 30bs.of high protein 22% feed left over from meat chickens already butchered.
    Can I mix it with a low protein feed to get it used up?

2. QueenMisha

QueenMisha Queen of the Coop

No harm feeding it to your laying fowl.

3. Rock Home Isle

Rock Home Isle Chillin' With My Peeps

Over the short term it should not be a problem. Chick starter is intended to be feed the first week or so, them it is intended that you shift to a grower ration. But if a higher protein feed is used, their bodies will use the nutrients that they need, the rest is passed through their system. The major exception to that is calcium, because of egg production chickens retain calcium. This could be detrimental for a bird that is not mature and able to lay eggs and use up those calcium reserves.

My big girls have started raiding the chicks hopper for the chick feed and actually, for some reason, egg production seems to up in that last few weeks.

[​IMG]

4. pdirt

pdirt Chillin' With My Peeps

May 11, 2013
    Eastern WA
    You could mix it in or just feed it as-is. If you're feeding it to laying hens, be sure to also provide a calcium source in a side dish, such as crushed oyster shells.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by