Used coop, OCD cleaning help needed!

O.K. I had a coop that once stood empty between flocks and in the winter the door blew open and wild turkeys got into it and roosted in it. This is what I did to clean it:

Shovel, scrape, sweep. Then vacuum using a shop vac and disinfect the vac as best as I could afterward. Wash with a lot of water, detergent and scrubbbing. Let dry. Bleach with a bleach and water solution. Let Dry. Attack with a Novosan (sp?) disinfectant solution. Let dry. Spray with pyrethrin solution. Let dry. Let stand empty and clean for a while. Fill with chickens.

You did say OCD right?

Never heard it claimed that Clorox is inherently better than generic bleach; legally they must contain the same % of sodium hypochlorite.

I'd read up on how you disinfect if you have had to cull because of a respiratory illness, and find out how long it's been since chickens have been in there. I believe Oxine is supposed to be the best disinfectant. And yes, I would treat the area as if there was a respiratory illness in the flock, just to be safe, They are fairly common.

What a great coop to have already there!

Alright. Scrape it all out, bleach it and then decorate as I please. I'll get right on that if we do get the house. Thanks!

If it were me, I'd scrape and sweep all I could, and then take a pressure washer to it, at least inside. Thoughly pressure wash the inside, and then spray down with a bleach solution. Let it dry out throughly before painting.

Make sure you wear a mask with a close fit so you don't breath in any dust. My aunt and uncle got a respitory desease when they cleaned out an old coop that hadn't been used for years. This is the nurse in me talking lol.

Hey there.

Unfortunately, wood is porous so no real good way to get rid of all germs. Also, bleach is inactivated by organic material. I would research other disenfectants that will work in the presence of organic material, since you could never eradicate ALL organic material in a wooden building with a dirt run/floor. Just my $.02. Good luck and what a great find!
thumbsup.gif

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom