Used straw bedding

I use my pine shaving I collect daily and toss onto the ice-covered walk way inside my flocks property It keeps them for doing splits when walking and me too. It doesn't take long for the poo to get washed through it.
How do the pine shavings hold up with all the water that ducks can bring into the coop? Do you put a thick layer down? I'm thinking of switching to shavings in the summertime when they don't need the insulation.

I learned a long time ago to never put water or feed inside. They don’t bring water inside but their poop is wet I just clean daily and fluff and add more shavings as needed

I learned a long time ago to never put water or feed inside. They don’t bring water inside but their poop is wet I just clean daily and fluff and add more shavings as needed
What about when it's been raining and the ducks bring it inside? I am not able to clean my coop when it's raining so I need a bedding that handles the water well.

You mean because they are wet?ducks dry fast if their feathers are in good shape and they have spread the oils from their preen gland over them. Rarely will they go in and soak their bedding. I sure haven’t seen it here and I’ve been using shavings for probably 15 yrs started out using straw I hated it stinky and does not soak up the wet poop like shavings. I use deep bedding. What you should do is try it as an experiment. And see if you like it. Then report back and let us know

You mean because they are wet?ducks dry fast if their feathers are in good shape and they have spread the oils from their preen gland over them. Rarely will they go in and soak their bedding. I sure haven’t seen it here and I’ve been using shavings for probably 15 yrs started out using straw I hated it stinky and does not soak up the wet poop like shavings. I use deep bedding. What you should do is try it as an experiment. And see if you like it. Then report back and let us know
That surprises me. It seems to me when it's been pouring rain and it's humid and they've been bathing the coop is much wetter. Looking forward to trying the shavings in the spring. Thank you once again for your help.

Back
Top Bottom