Pics

gtaus

Crossing the Road
5 Years
Mar 29, 2019
Northern Minnesota
My Coop
My Coop
After weeks and weeks of sub freezing temps, we actually hit a high today of 39F! I decided to take advantage of this heat wave and clean out some of the coop. I have a deep wood chip litter in my coop, and for the most part it is working just great this winter. For the longest time, I have not had to clean out the poo underneath the roost because the chickens would just scratch the droppings into the wood chips. To encourage them even more, I'd throw some scratch over in that area. For the longest time, the poo was magically disappearing into the wood chips.

Perfect! :yesss:

For past couple of weeks, it has been very cold with nighttime low getting as far down as -22F. The poo under the roosts started to build up like a frozen turd iceberg. It is about as hard as concrete. Anyway, my goal today was to clean up some of that frozen poo and lay down some fresh wood chips.

A few years ago, I bought a Ryobi 18v cultivator for the garden. At the time, I thought I was buying a mini tiller, but it is not nearly as powerful as a tiller. The cultivator works best for fluffing up already cultivated garden soil. Because it is so small, I can actually use it around plants in the garden where I would never be able to use my tillers.

Anyway, I am always looking for other uses for my tools. I took my 18v cultivator out to the coop to see how it would work on the frozen poo. At first try, it just bounced off the frozen poo block, but I continued to hold it steady and soon it started breaking up the frozen poo built up under the roost. Big chunks got broken up into smaller pieces the longer I had the cultivator over that area. When I got down to the wood chips below the frozen poo, the cultivator started mixing the poo into the wood chips. That is good, but I decided to rake some of the frozen poo pieces off first and reduce the load going back into the wood chips.

Then I went to get some fresh wood chips I had stored in 17 gallon tubs outside a shed. I should have covered the tubs. The wood chips turned out to be like a giant wood chip ice cube. Evidently, rain and/or melting snow had gone down through the chips and had frozen everything into a solid. I turned over the tub and the wood chip ice cube came out in a perfect block. I could stand on it without any problem. That was not going to work for me.

So once again, I turned to my 18v cultivator and let is loose on the wood chip cube. In just a few minutes, it had broken down the wood chips into nice, small, fresh pieces. Fortunately, lots of the chips inside the cube were not waterlogged, so I just raked out the chips in the coop giving everything a nice fresh topping. It would have been better if the chips had been completely dry, but live and learn for next winter, I guess.

I don't know if Ryobi still makes the 18v cultivator, but here is a picture of the unit I bought. I know other companies sold very similar models, and I would think they would work just as well. This has proven to be a real labor saver for me and my back appreciates it. I don't think I could have done nearly as good of a job on today's cleaning with shovels and pitchforks. I'm all for anything that makes my chores easier and thought I would share it with the BYC community.

Ryobi-ZRP2701-One-Plus-18V-Cordless-Lithium-Ion-Cultivator-0-0.jpg

I have used my tiller the same way about the same as what your showing we do not freeze as bad here... My birds got so use to it they waited jumping in looking for the worms :wee

Thanks! Can't use one in my little coop, but it looks perfect for my small garden and flower beds. Couldn't find one on Amazon, but they have a Black & Decker that looks like the same one.

This is one of Dear Wife's favorite tools in her flower garden. She has no problem controlling this 18v powered cultivator and basically she just wants to fluff up the soil around her plants. Easier on the back too because you don't have to bend over with a hand trowel to work up the soil. She uses this cultivator all the time.

The 18v cultivator is a great tool for certain jobs, but is not made to till up unbroken sod. I ended up buying a mini tiller for myself. Now I have a big gas walk behind tiller, a 40v mini tiller, and this 18v cultivator. I now have many options and I can pick the best tool for the job.

I have used my tiller the same way about the same as what your showing we do not freeze as bad here... My birds got so use to it they waited jumping in looking for the worms :wee

I have a 40v mini tiller, but I don't use it inside my coop because I have linoleum flooring and I am certain I would snag the vinyl and rip it to shreds. I will be using the mini tiller in the chicken run next spring to work up the leaves I dumped in the run last fall.

Wouldn't a poop board under the roost be a lot less trouble?

I don't think so, for where I live. Frozen poo on a wooden board is too hard to get off. Most people around here don't clean out their coops until spring. Frozen poo does not smell, so most people just wait until spring for cleaning. Most of the people I know that have chickens say they just continue to throw fresh bedding material on the frozen poo all winter. I use wood chips, but other might use pine shavings, straw, etc....

I know lots of people here on BYC community recommend a poop board under the roost, but nobody around where I live go with that option. But we also don't clean out the coop from Nov-Apr. I imagine a poop board would have to be cleaned out regularly, or the build up would be too much.

Then I went to get some fresh wood chips I had stored in 17 gallon tubs outside a shed. I should have covered the tubs. The wood chips turned out to be like a giant wood chip ice cube. Evidently, rain and/or melting snow had gone down through the chips and had frozen everything into a solid. I turned over the tub and the wood chip ice cube came out in a perfect block. I could stand on it without any problem. That was not going to work for me.
:gig:gig Sorry...but this would have made good video.

Wonders, seriously, how much of that 'chip cube' was water?

Again, we don't know what we don't know, but if OP dumped clean.....but wet.....chips in the coop, they introduced a whole lot of water and moisture in there they didn't want. Frostbite city! If it is going to remain warmer in coming days, and you see the chips drying out.....leave em......toss the scratch on and let birds turn em to dry em even more. But remember, this time of year, moisture of any kind and from any source is not your friend.

Great idea, however to get rid of the droppings pile. When that thawed out, it was going to A: reek, B: release days and days of accumulated frozen water.....as much or more than anything you brought in with your wet chips.

Back
Top Bottom