1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

useless broilers??

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by TATERsmom, Jan 15, 2009.

1. TATERsmom

TATERsmom Out Of The Brooder

Jan 6, 2009
    South Louisiana
    We have broilers to show for 4H. [​IMG] I had intentions on keeping them. [​IMG] Someone broke my heart today![​IMG] They told me that after showing we needed to eat them, [​IMG] that they would not lay eggs,and the older they get the fatter and would soon die because they wouldn't be able to walk because of weight gain. [​IMG] pPlease help with any advice or suggestions!

2. Teach97

Teach97 Bantam Addict

Nov 12, 2008
    Hooker, OK
    if they are the crosses...well yes that is pretty much true...the hens will lay...just not very good...and yes they will get huge fat lazy and will probably have heart attacks before they lay too many eggs...sorry...on the flip side...the taste great!

3. conny63malies

conny63malies Overrun With Chickens

Mar 22, 2008
    Annetta Kentucky
    Quote:some people have kept them succsessfully kept them as pets. But you have to keep them on food retriction, or they will eat themselfs to death. I slaughterd a 17-18pound 3month old roo last year.
    They will lay eggs but prolly not a lot, they are not bred for it.

4. sandypaws

sandypaws Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 12, 2008
    desert of calif
    they were BRED and designed for ONE thing..... it is in their name.
    sorry

i have tryed to keep the double breasted bronze turkey as a pet before... it is sad to watch, they get huge,, so huge they cant stand,, then they drag oll the feathers off their chest,, and die of a heartattack at 2 .. they were "bred" for ONE thing.. thanksgiving...
    . now i have "wild" turkeys as pets

Last edited: Jan 15, 2009
  5. miss_jayne

miss_jayne Lady_Jayne

Jun 26, 2008
    Columbiaville, MI
    depending on your 4-H show rules, you may be required to sell them at the show. here anything that goes in goes to a butcher afterwards.

their purpose is to grow quick for no-wait food. sorry. [​IMG]

6. big greg barker

big greg barker Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 26, 2008
    central maine
    Seeing it is a 4-H project, a natural part of the process should either be to sell mthem at the show, or process them and eat them yourselves. It is a good life's lesson on knowing where your foods come from.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by