Useless rooster

Ok, I'm a dog lover. I like cats, but when it comes to protecting my ducks, I'd go with the electric wire. There are bait cups for deer, you attach them to the wire. For a car, fill it with tuna fish, let them get zapped, and likely they'll stay away. If not, put a strand around the top area where they are getting in and more on top the house, so they can't jump up without getting zapped.

If that's too severe, try using mouse traps. The cat doesn't actually get caught in them, but they usually trigger them and the snapping scares them so much, they won't go back. It worked on our cat when it was a kitten. I didn't want him on my counter tops. One time getting scared was all it took! He never jumped up on the counter again.

Last option is a scat mat. They are really for inside, so you should only hook up when it's dry outside. you lay them where you don't want the animal going. It delivers a mild static electricity shock, and they learn to stay away.

Protect your babies. The cat is taking advantage of you. They can learn!

He slips through the top. We have tried everything to keep him out and nothing works. We've changed the type of cover multiple times as well. Our dogs keep all other predators away, the cat is the only thing we've lost chicks to. Is there a breed you recommend?
Trust me, if you can't secure you run against one cat then it is only a matter of time before you lose your chickens to another predator. As mentioned, there are several breeds to use. My first inclination however is to close off your run using whatever it takes. What about pictures where he is entering your run.

I've often wondered if Malay, or fighting type roosters would make good protectors. I feel like they would, isn't that kinda what they're bred for? :idunno
I know that @MysteryChicken is gonna have a few available after she figures out which are boys, but she's in Michigan so you'd have to be in her area.
I may have homes for 2 extra cockerels I don't have room for, but if the people decide they don't want them, they'll still be available for someone else.

whats your setup like? there are hot fence insulators that can be wired, screwed, hammered, or clipped onto pretty much any surface. It doesnt need to be directly where the cats getting in either, if its on the bottom and middle of the fence its unlikely kittys gonna miss it. Hot fence works like a charm.

I had a cat get curious about my birds, and it only took one zap to keep the cat from even getting close to my run again.
He always manages to get around it somehow. Our run is a dog kennel attached to a shed for a coop. We have the orange plastic poultry fencing going across attached with wire.

Trust me, if you can't secure you run against one cat then it is only a matter of time before you lose your chickens to another predator. As mentioned, there are several breeds to use. My first inclination however is to close off your run using whatever it takes. What about pictures where he is entering your run.
Our dogs protect them from everything else. They are very good at keeping our yard free from other animals, even stray cats. They know our cats are to be left alone though. They've killed multiple animals trying to get my hens. I am work so don't have pictures at the moment but can get some later.

Back
Top Bottom